get your gen 4 carbon wheel balancing checked.lol

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r25sti

Reaction score
well i had really bad vibes between 100 mph and 125 mph (couldnt go any more as still on limiter) so thought i would check the wheel balancing. the silver weights in the pictures are the oe ones. 20 grams split left and right about 8" from the valve. My god on the balancer its like a rocking horse, couldnt even get it to stop swinging.lol. take the weights off and it swings a few times and settles on the valve being the heavy point. 25 grams split 15 on left and 10 on right has balance it perfectly. so with the 20 oe grams near the valve that makes about 45 grams of weight in the same place. no wonder it was a little scary. lol. not tried it yet but 45 grames out on carbon wheels is A LOT. :) if your weights are anywhere near your valve im guessing your getting a lot of vibes. :) the last 2 pics have the black weights in the correct place for my tyre/wheel. :)

Qlsed4I.jpg

SOQSLrI.jpg

debrurI.jpg

BdSCycf.jpg

Last edited:
just checked my front wheel as I had a new tyre fitted but my weights are fitted to the centre line of the wheel not on the edge, no vibes though before or since up to high numbers!

just checked my front wheel as I had a new tyre fitted but my weights are fitted to the centre line of the wheel not on the edge, no vibes though before or since up to high numbers!

where are your weights in relation to the valve?

Could this attribute towards carbon wheels failing. 45g with the wheel turning fast enough to be doing near 200mph must equate to quite a large centrifugal force, putting the carbon into tension.

no idea myself but it did feel like things were going to fly off the bike if i kept it up.

bit concerning and may fly by yours for a re balance once i get mine.......note to oneself pull a wheelie all the way there.....lol

That's miles out

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ive never seen a wheel this far out and i fit a LOT of tyres. i do all my mates as well as mine and the missis track bikes. i dont mind the 25 grams out but that added to the valve was scary out. :)

Got to agree, I've balanced loads too, it's the worst I've seen...

and that reminds me, I stuck that wheel on that Kwacker without balancing it lol..

With pleasure, but I doubt it... I might not have a wheel, I'll need to see if that loctite has eaten right through it.

all sorted, wheel balanced and done a couple of hundred miles today, bike is now not trying to kill me.lol

Just before I opened this thread I hoped that you were able to get out on it.......chuffed for u mate....

all sorted, wheel balanced and done a couple of hundred miles today, bike is now not trying to kill me.lol

Very glad to hear the problem is now solved and it was a simple fix!

Am looking forward to hearing what you think of the Gen 4 later this Summer once you?re fully acquainted [emoji41]

Back