Went for a ride and got caught in some cross winds!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuey

Reaction score
Sun was out today so thought it would be rude not to. I went on some country roads and a small stretch on the motorway. I didn't realise how windy it was until I started riding and I got caught in some cross winds. Bloody hell, I've never experienced this on my other bikes in the past, but in high cross winds it took me by surprise and felt like wheels beneath me were going to be taken out sidewards. Weird, but is it because the wheels are so light on these things?

Least u got out.... how many miles did u cover today?? Getting any closer to ur service??

Only managed to cover around 40 miles today, so a grand total of 192 miles on the clock lol! I got a few days off this coming week so hopefully get some riding in :)

Apparently* cross winds don't affect the bike (when moving) - the problems are caused by the rider trying to compensate. With a light grip on the bars, try ignoring the cross winds and see how the bike behaves. N.B. You might want to try this in the middle lane of an empty wide straight road. Do not try this and a standstill.

*According to Tom who teaches the i2imca courses. I have tried it in moderate cross winds and it seems to work.

Apparently* cross winds don't affect the bike (when moving) - the problems are caused by the rider trying to compensate. With a light grip on the bars, try ignoring the cross winds and see how the bike behaves. N.B. You might want to try this in the middle lane of an empty wide straight road. Do not try this and a standstill.

*According to Tom who teaches the i2imca courses. I have tried it in moderate cross winds and it seems to work.

when in doubt, flat out principle

Interesting, I did end up moving into the middle lane just in case I went!! Lol.

Back