OE chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc A

Reaction score
Has anyone bothered to replace their chain for the gen 4? Looking for recommendations

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the benefit of this and what's wrong with the OEM chain?

BBB put on a race chain - 520 is lighter, smaller. 525 is the size for the street.

I've just ordered a DID 525 ZVM-X for my Gen3 so I can have 120 links and switch back to 16/46. I think the DID ZVM-X's are the best compromise between quality and cost.

I doubt anything is to be gained (from changing) unless you're riding on track

Last edited:
No real benefit other than minimal weight saving.
I gave up using 520 after seeing several snap on track. A few going through engine casing virtually righting off an engine.

As well as being lighter I think it looks rather ?bling? being gold coloured....

No real benefit other than minimal weight saving.
I gave up using 520 after seeing several snap on track. A few going through engine casing virtually righting off an engine.

never seen this. Have 2x 520 on both beemers, no issues.

as per Alex, main advantage 1) 520 hence bigger selection of sprockets 2) slightly lighter

Last edited:
R1's are notorious for it. And a mate had one fling off from a zx10 that was in front, just missing taking his head off.
For me it's not worth the risk.

Chains

520 pitch chain and sprockets are really only best used on track/race bikes as they offer a marginal reduction in unsprung weight (but to the detriment of longevity). That and there is a wider range of 520 pitch sprocket sizes which are more readily available for use with aftermarket forged wheels.

If your bike is predominantly used on the road, with the occasional trackday, then your best off sticking with a 525 pitch chain and sprockets for longevity. If you are doing a lot of trackdays, or are racing, and are routinely altering gearing then a 520 pitch chain and a selection of sprockets is the way to go.

BMW OEM chains and sprockets are generally fine but only if you look after them properly. They are of no worse quality then a reasonably priced aftermarket set. I generally use DID chains on my track bikes because they are affordable and very well made.

I totally agree with above.
I had a T3 race bike that come with a wide range of sprockets and did swap them about often.
For track days though especially the Ltr bikes Ive found just going down on the front one up one on the back has suited most bikes, tracks.

The gen 4 fwiw is the only one I've had where i think where the standard gearing is spot on 95% of the time.
Going down on front and you'll be fighting to keep the front end down losing drive.

Sure not going to suit Mugello or Spa, even Jerez. There r a lot of tracks out there.

Last edited:
Alex more than likely gonna go for same chain as you have mentioned... as bike is new would u advise upgrading the rear sprocket at the same time or happy to use the oe one for time being?

Cheers bud... best price I?ve found is 126. And in stock lol
will check our member places tomorrow...

Just what I was thinking. I got 16000 miles out of my OE one on my Gen 1 (was knackered by then though). Plenty of track miles too

Same ish, and oe sprockets. People moan about chain rusting but doing the basics of chain maintenance regularly was enough to keep it in good condition.

I prefer the cosmestic look of the gold... that?s the only reason. Normally chains have lasted me 10-12k too

Back