Oil filter dilemma

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
I bumped into clearance problem between Full Akra headers and oil cooler when trying to change the oil filter.

There standard BMW oil filter (part 11427721779, 63mm height) doesn't quite fit thru the clearance.

HM installed a shorter version (53mm height) 11 42 7 673 541, which is also a genuine BMW oil filter but not listed for use with S1000RR. I called up BMW dealer and they told me not to use it as a shorter filter restricts oil flow.

All after market filters KN-160 or HF-160 are 63mm height, so wouldn't fit without detaching the oil cooler line.

Is it a total no-go to use a shorter oil filter on S1000rr? What do people think?

Has anyone removed the oil cooler line? How easy/difficult is that?

Last edited:
Have you titanium headers. As I've got ss and there seems room to get standard filter in. Will check tonight.

As for shorter filter hmmmm I'd be wary after being told that.

Have you titanium headers. As I've got ss and there seems room to get standard filter in. Will check tonight.

As for shorter filter hmmmm I'd be wary after being told that.
I've got the same ss headers. To be fair I havent tried the standard filter yet. One I tried is kn-160 that has a small head on top for a lock wire - that takes it up to 72mm and I wasn't able to squeeze it in.

I'm waiting for a standard to arrive this week and retry.

Have you ever removed the oil cooler line?

No I haven't. I have a new OEM filter ready to change. Will see what they gave me.
I bought one of the oil filter wrench things but don't think that will go on.

No I haven't. I have a new OEM filter ready to change. Will see what they gave me.
I bought one of the oil filter wrench things but don't think that will go on.
What kind of wrench is that? Is it a socket that goes on top of filter? If yes, you wouldn't be able to fit the wrench into that.
The strap tool works fine tho.

Yeah,the OE filter will fit with akra headers but,you can't get it in or out passed the bracket which holds the wiring and where the fairing fits.
I had to modify my bracket because my fairing needs that bracket.

The short filter was used on the early bikes but was changed to the longer one,presumably for better efficiency.

I confirmed with Dave from HM again and he says theyve been running short filter on HP4 with no issues and are about to run it on Gen4 (it goes first time to Almeria this weekend).

No reason not to trust him so a bit confused. I ordered 779 filter, will see how easy is to fit it. Someone on the US forum suggested to undo the exhaust hanger and drop Akra a bit to squeeze it in. Will see...

Last edited:
Removing the sensor bracket works just fine. I’ve done it twice now.. it’s a bit finicky but it works.

Removing the sensor bracket works just fine. I’ve done it twice now.. it’s a bit finicky but it works.

Thanks! Just did this today and installed 779 filter (without a lock-wire head), all fitted fine.

Only annoying thing, you can't properly torque the filter as there is not enough space for a socket head. But I locked wire it using a jubilee clip.

Personally I take oil cooler off and drain it on all bikes when changing oil as it?s the lowest point in the system and collects a fair amount of crap over time and it?s only a 5 minute job on most bikes. It also contains a fair bit of dirty oil that immediately gets mixed with the new oil on start up. Certainly worth doing at least once a year.

Back