Dash set up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGodfather

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Am I missing something, I've looked in the book but can't see how to remedy this.
For instance I select the dash layout I want and despite being in race pro mode whenever I switch off and on again it defaults back to the standard road dash.

So when I'm at the track, every time I go to go out I'll have to scroll down and right to select the screen layout I want.

Yep, thats as far as I have got with it too. Cant find a default setting to one of the other layouts. Be good if someone has found a fix.

I think it just defaults back to the standard road screen when you start it - not aware of any setting that allows a preferred screen, be nice to have one though.

That is a bit poor, it should remember your last setting :/

it doesn’t change your race pro set up, only defaults to the first dash lay out, I am lead to believe it does this as the first dash lay out shows you when the bike is at operating temp.
whether that’s right or not is up for discussion, just what I was advised

Daz

Assuming you have selected a race screen,next time you switch on the road screen will display.Press down twice and the race screen will reappear.Not perfect but at least it only requires an extra thumb press!

it doesn’t change your race pro set up, only defaults to the first dash lay out, I am lead to believe it does this as the first dash lay out shows you when the bike is at operating temp.
whether that’s right or not is up for discussion, just what I was advised

Daz

I’ve not seen a temperature display on my screen(s) - think BMW decided to leave it off, although it’s clearly available to the ECU, they must’ve though the rider’s not interested in either engine / coolant temp or ambient.

I’ve not seen a temperature display on my screen(s) - think BMW decided to leave it off, although it’s clearly available to the ECU, they must’ve though the rider’s not interested in either engine / coolant temp or ambient.
When you start the bike the redline on the Revs is low 5-6000 and rises as the engine runs to let you know when it’s at operating temp

One click down, go to vehicle information, engine / coolant temp is on the first page.

One click down, go to vehicle information, engine / coolant temp is on the first page.

Clearly not spotted that one!

Inexplicably I like to see the ambient temperature to know why I’m bloody freezing cold and need the heated grips turned up to max!!

Clearly not spotted that one!

Inexplicably I like to see the ambient temperature to know why I’m bloody freezing cold and need the heated grips turned up to max!!
Yeah I’d like that too. Ask your dealer to send a feature request to BMW. I’ve done it already... if enough people ask for it then it might just happen :)

Yeah I’d like that too. Ask your dealer to send a feature request to BMW. I’ve done it already... if enough people ask for it then it might just happen :)
I'm interested in this "Feature Request" Noxx. What was the process you followed? Did the dealer know about it?
The reason I ask is I've been banging on about adjusting the compression damping on the DDC in the road modes for weeks now. Its basically a feature request as all the physical stuff to do it is there - it just needs a change in software. Nobody in BMW suggested putting in a feature request.

I'm interested in this "Feature Request" Noxx. What was the process you followed? Did the dealer know about it?
The reason I ask is I've been banging on about adjusting the compression damping on the DDC in the road modes for weeks now. Its basically a feature request as all the physical stuff to do it is there - it just needs a change in software. Nobody in BMW suggested putting in a feature request.
There is no such thing as a 'feature request' per se. I just asked my dealer to feed my feedback back to BMWAG and dealer agreed. If enough people send in the same requests there is a good chance BMWAG will listen, especially since most of my requests / ideas are, as you mentioned, simple software changes.

This is what I've sent to my dealer:

- Dash to phone app connection and therefore the navigation capability is flaky at best. Sometimes it just drops out without ever giving any alert about it. I lost turn by turn directions on my most recent Spain trip and was riding in the wrong direction for 45 minutes. While that can be attributed to my own stupidity, it’s definitely an issue BMW should look into. Initial connection is also not reliable. It works most of the times, but sometimes it doesn’t at all.

- the bike ‘forgets’ paired Bluetooth devices from time to time which results in me having to re-pair them.

- ambient temperature display would be great. I’m sure they could pick up the IAT signal and display that as ambient temperature.

- simple warning messages such as low fuel are definitely too shouty. An engine failure should be big, shouty and light the dash up like a Christmas tree, but 50km remaining range should not.

- dash defaults back to the PureRide view when I turn off the ignition. Would be awesome if I could either set my favorite odometer screen or if the bike remembered the last screen (just like it does with the heated grips).

- previous generations allowed the rider to change the DDC steps (+7 - -7) even when in one of the factory modes (rain, road, dynamic, race). This bike does not allow that. Rain mode and -7 DDC gave me almost GSA comfort on my 2016 S1000RR when riding on bumpy roads.

- race pro modes completely disable all multimedia functionality which is a major pain in the backside. I like being in race pro mode with wheelie control disabled while listening to music :)

Dealers response was:

Hey [noxx],

I will forward your comment to BMW. If you want to grab an oil filter just pop into the parts dept.

See you Thursday,

Kindest Regards,

[friendly dealer]
Service Controller

Last edited:
Thank you - I'm going to cut and past this to my dealer now! As you say they may not take any notice - but if enough people shout.............

Back