S1000RR M Sport or S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Choices choices. I'm thinking about potentially changing my bike for the new model, but I can't make my mind up about which one to go for.

I love Red bikes, my current one is Racing Red and I'm just always drawn more to Red bikes.

So I'm thinking perhaps the one for me is the S1000RR Sport with the Performance Pack which comes with pretty much everything as the M Sport apart from the Carbon Wheels and colour scheme.

With the Performance Pack you get the forged wheels which are nice and light anyway. The S1000RR Sport with PP is also slightly cheaper which is a bonus I guess.

However, part of me says that if I'm going to spend money then I may as well go for the M Sport flagship model.

What do you think guys? Help me make a decision please. Is there any solid reason why I should get an M Sport over the S1000RR Sport with PP?

Many thanks in advance.

(PS - I'm aware of all the supply issues but hopefully want to get my name down on a bike soon)

I initially chose the red sport with performance pack, but then changed my order (going back of the queue again) to the M Sport.

I genuinely think you’ll be chuffed with whichever one you opt for. You certainly shouldn’t be disappointed.

For me, I’m planning on keeping the bike for a few years and figured that ultimately the M sport was my preferred choice - so anything else would be a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you say that? In terms of the damage they may sustain and therefore expensive replacing?

Why do you say that? In terms of the damage they may sustain and therefore expensive replacing?
If you damage them, they can't be used anymore.

Also, read up about cracks complains. Baz had his replaced under warranty as I understand.

If you damage them, they can't be used anymore.

Also, read up about cracks complains. Baz had his replaced under warranty as I understand.

True, but that is only one genuine case we know of, and everyone else is fine (so far).

The msport will have a higher residual value than the sport, so the overall cost of ownership will not be much different (if any either way).

True, but that is only one genuine case we know of, and everyone else is fine (so far).

The msport will have a higher residual value than the sport, so the overall cost of ownership will not be much different (if any either way).
Imagine you get a crack after warranty period is over. So long higher residual value.

Imagine you get a crack after warranty period is over. So long higher residual value.

I’d hope the 3 year warranty period would be sufficient to weed out all the carbon wheel issues. Up to now mine’s been ok, but then I’ve only managed 500 miles since getting it due to shocking weather!

I wasn't aware BMW upgraded their warranty period to 3 years, believe it was only 2 years on my current ride.

Like the earlier message alluded to if you are doing track days & therefore regular tyre changes then the forged wheel option is probably better in the long run. Regular tyre levering is bound to weaken the rim edges. Was interesting to see that Michael Rutter didn't like CF wheels, When he rode the M Sport in PB magazine, Also the Superstock Gen4 bike he ran at the end of the season was a Sport model with HP wheels.

Watched a lot of YouTube vids this evening, many reviews from different people and amazed how highly this bike is rated. :)

Don’t think I’m bothered about carbon wheels, as I mentioned I just love Red bikes and so I’m going to try and get a deal on the S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack which comes with the Forged M wheels.

Plus many people have reviewed the M Sport seat as being a bit firm for road riding so that’s something else in favour of the non M for me as I do suffer with lower back (tailbone) pain following a sports injury a few years ago.

I think its a decent choice I would probably do the same.

Its a shame there are not more colour choices yet.

- Alex

Thanks Alex, there is also Hockenhiem Silver available, I’ve seen this colour on a friends BMW M2 Comp, nice colour but from a distance just looks like an off white metallic.

I think its a decent choice I would probably do the same.

Its a shame there are not more colour choices yet.

- Alex

i would have gone for something other than the M if there were better colour options. i do like the red but it dose look very plain Jane when parked up with other bikes at the cafe.lol. ive seen a couple this yesr and didnt even notice them in a crowd until i thought oh whats this then.lol

i would have gone for something other than the M if there were better colour options. i do like the red but it dose look very plain Jane when parked up with other bikes at the cafe.lol. ive seen a couple this yesr and didnt even notice them in a crowd until i thought oh whats this then.lol

LOL - Some people prefer plain Jane, same level of performance in the bedroom but not as shouty as (look at me) Katie P! :D

I have noticed the motoring press seem to refer to the MY 2020 as the Gen 3, whereas here on the forum and rightly so IMO we refer to it as Gen 4!

Gen 1 - 2009
Gen 2 - 2012 (Facelift)
Gen 3 - 2015
Gen 4 - 2019

Perhaps because in 2012 is was just a facelift rather than a complete model change the press skip that one?

Thanks Alex, there is also Hockenhiem Silver available, I’ve seen this colour on a friends BMW M2 Comp, nice colour but from a distance just looks like an off white metallic.

Yes I know. I would only buy one, at a discount, to repaint it.
BMW motorrad don't do decent colours period.

Last edited:
Well, some good news chaps, order placed for a 2020 S1000RR Sport in Racing Red with Performance Pack and factory fitted alarm.

Been told to expect it around Feb/March time, but don't know how true that is! March would be good as it's my birthday month :)

Time for some Xmas shopping for some goodies. Thanks for the advice everyone, no doubt I'll have more questions and hope to be an active member and meet some of you people soon.

By all accounts they are going to run double shifts in the factory over the next couple of months to try to catch up...

Back