Trade in

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOz

Reaction score
Called my dealer today to find out how much they would want to swap my 2012 bike for an HP4 (not carbon). My bike is mint, like new, 850 miles. Price to change? £5995.

Gutted to say the least. Dealer said that Beemer had pre-registered a load of post recall bikes and were punting them out cheap. I asked for a post recall bike to save a few quid when I got mine and was told they were sold out. Now they have loads of them.

The upshot is trade in values of 2012 bikes are "approx £1000 less" than they would be if Beemer hadn't flooded the market with cheap pre-reg's.

Thanks Beemer. I thought it was only Kawasaki who screwed their owners over like this. Pretty much guarantees my next bike won't be a Beemer.

Wankers.

They offered me 8k for my 2011 motor sport in showroom condition with only a couple hundred miles on it,i told them to get fooked..!!! 5.5k loss over a year and abit lol im keeping mine for two years now and most probably sell it on or track bike it...

Yeah I got the same story for mine
7k in 2 years
Having said that I've spent that much on mine that I don't know how the additional weight of the hp4 would feel
In fact it's only the elec suspension that's missing and I wouldn't bet on the first iteration of it will be shite

Enjoy what you've got , surely the hp4 is just for looks and kudos nowt else .

I certainly will enjoy mine.

Got a PCV ready to go on, just sourced a full Ti Akrapovic Evo system for it so I have a couple of things to fit over winter.

fatbob link=topic=1525.msg14690#msg14690 date=1350113589 said:
Yeah I got the same story for mine
7k in 2 years
Having said that I've spent that much on mine that I don't know how the additional weight of the hp4 would feel
In fact it's only the elec suspension that's missing and I wouldn't bet on the first iteration of it will be shite

Enjoy what you've got , surely the hp4 is just for looks and kudos nowt else .

I dont think yr far wrong for us mere mortals...... just gotta upgrade the susp on mine and the riding of course ;)

MOz link=topic=1525.msg14578#msg14578 date=1349803220 said:
Called my dealer today to find out how much they would want to swap my 2012 bike for an HP4 (not carbon). My bike is mint, like new, 850 miles. Price to change? £5995.

Gutted to say the least. Dealer said that Beemer had pre-registered a load of post recall bikes and were punting them out cheap. I asked for a post recall bike to save a few quid when I got mine and was told they were sold out. Now they have loads of them.

The upshot is trade in values of 2012 bikes are "approx £1000 less" than they would be if Beemer hadn't flooded the market with cheap pre-reg's.

Thanks Beemer. I thought it was only Kawasaki who screwed their owners over like this. Pretty much guarantees my next bike won't be a Beemer.

Wankers.

Mmmm, have a think MOz. You take any recently purchased vehicle back to the supplying dealer and ask for a trade in price they are always in an awkward position. For starters there is £2300 VAT in a new S1000RR - this disappears straight away to Mr David Cameron. Then there is the natural price difference between a new bike and a used bike and you can see where suddenly it seems like your pride and joy has just shed a huge sum in depreciation. Throw into the mix the fact that you asked about an HP4, a bike that BMW dealers will be lucky if they get 3 each, and you can see it was a disaster waiting to happen.

The fact that the dealer is selling pre-registered S1000RR's at a lower price will only affect the market until they are sold then the price will return to normal.

His username suggests he won't be back or have anything useful to contribute to the site.

Shame. I was feeling real sympathy with his sob story excuses....

Real dealers look after their customers. I could have suggested a couple of dealers who could definately teach him a thing or two.

Didnt all the dealers say they were only getting a couple of MS bike's when the s1kr was due out..its a marketing ploy to build hype about the hp4 im guessing,i wont be surprised the hp4 replaces the sport model and a new bike will be out in the next 2 years so ill atleast wait till then...

Docta13 link=topic=1525.msg15007#msg15007 date=1350719710 said:
Don't worry moz if he doesn't introduce himself I'll just delete the post mate

Blimey I didn't want to cause any offence! For the record I recently took early retirement as a motor industry analyst for PWC (an accountant basically), so not quite a dealer MOz but spent a lot of my career looking at dealer profitability and the financial relationship between dealers and manufacturers. Depreciation is the biggest cost of motoring and all new vehicles suffer, and surprisingly premium brands like BMW suffer just a badly as your run of the mill stuff I'm afraid. Having said that I am the proud owner of a 2010 S1000, and loving every minute of it!

mr reality check there is a section for new members to introduce themselves properly, maybe you might have a little looksee yeh?

Docta13 link=topic=1525.msg15028#msg15028 date=1350746014 said:
mr reality check there is a section for new members to introduce themselves properly, maybe you might have a little looksee yeh?

Thanks for the heads up - i'll have a look

All that's happened here is bike pricing has risen to car levels.The more you pay-the more you lose on depreciation.They used to say Mercs had good residuals-maybe the percentage was less,but if you paid more in the first place then more money actually came out of your pocket!

When bikes were £8-9k obviously they didn't lose so much.

Personally,If I were offered 11k for a 2012 bike on trade-in(remember,the dealer still has to sell it,so is entitled to make a profit)I don't think I would complain too much.

As an aside,I have just paid £11995(with heated grips-lovely jubbley!) for a pre-reg 62 plate with 4 miles-so that's 2k I haven't lost.

The salesman also said come trade-in time,the value would be the same as every other 2012 bike.

Back