Massive tankslapper on my 2012 spat me off

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chrono

Happened on a track day at Silverstone exiting Chapel Curve, I think the rear lost traction and slid slightly, which led to a wobble that became a massive tankslapper that spat me off on the Hangar Straight. Which is frustrating as I would have expected the traction control to handle the loss of traction and the steering damper to prevent a tankslapper. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Any thoughts on what went wrong?

What TC mode and tyre pressures?

Mine highsided me (or more accurately, I highsided me) in race mode, because I was hamfisted and had my rear tyre on road pressures.

It's not foolproof, especially in the 'looser' modes if you're not that experienced on track *holds hand up*

Yep, which will let it spin up slightly, dependant on lean. If you're not ready for it and chop the throttle, it'll do exactly that. What my crash taught me is that you still have to ride it like a 190hp bike and treat with adequate respect. There's a lot of ways to crash even with it on.

Have heard the damper is about as useful as a chocolate teapot as well though - sadly not alone with OEM dampers... If it was better, it might have saved you, might not have.

Hope there wasn't too much damage to you or the bike.

modern bikes and electronics are ace but they are not a licence to do what you will without consequence. they are aids thats all. the s1000 is like any woman, dont treat her with respect and she will be a right bitch. Hope you and the bike are not too mashed mate.

IMHO everyone always gets too hung up about the OEM damper.

Holding onto the bars too stiffly is a sure fire way to make a headshake (which the bike needs to do to correct itself) into a full on tankslapper. This is also what a stiff steering damper will do.

Back