Potential New Owner Advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Saltyseven7

Hello,

Ive been looking for a sports bike for a few months now and have test ridden nearly all that are available on the market. I had initially written off the S1000, as being quite a tall guy (6'5") I didnt think it would fit, but after taking one out on Saturday I have fallen in love! It is a bit cramped but im hoping some heli bars and rear sets will sort that out but if not then I think I can live with it :D

Ive seen a fine specimen at my local dealer. Its a 2011 model with the ABS and traction control and has just over 8000 miles on it, going for £9000. This seems to be reasonable but was just wondering if theres anything I should be looking out for before sticking a deposit down?

Ive read about a few issues here in there but in general they seem to be pretty solid bikes..

Any first time buying advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello!
You've had a blast on her and love it right? Well that's it you're SOLD! Don't worry about horror stories,like all things mechanical,sometimes they break,but overall it's a stunning machine. I'm sure you could find cheaper as well.

Hi ime 6' 3" tall n like you had concerns. Owned mine since feb this year n i think it is extremely comfortable for a sports bike even for tall guys. Change of screen is all that was required 4 me. ;D

Thanks guys. Cool, that's good to hear! I'm definitely sold but I'm just a bit unsure as to whether the bike I'm looking at is priced a bit high considering the mileage..

welcome fella.....
you were snared same way as me..'just take a test ride'.... sold!! :D

is it from a BMW dealer??..if so youl get 12 months BMW warranty...
what colour is it?? if its the white motorad then they are a little dearer...
have a look what other dealers have in stock..my local BMW dealer, Williams of Manchester,have a 2011 motorad, 3400miles and they want 10k for that..

Rob

Hi Salty and welcome.

I wouldnt worry too much about a 2011 used bike, it will have some Bmw warranty left and you could always extend the BMW warranty in 2013.

Have you checked the BMW site and Auto Trader for used bikes? Give any dealer a call and ask them what the lowest price is for what you are looking at, offer your telephone number and ask them to call you back with the best price. Need to tell them you av no px etc. You should be able to knock off at least £500 before you really push them.

At this time of year I am sure you should get an excellent deal.

Good luck

Yep, an hour or so on the bike is all it took to get me hooked :)

Its the light grey (looks white) colour. It is from a BMW dealer so as well as the warranty I'm assuming it will be serviced and checked over. It could do with a new set of tyres though so I might be able to haggle a bit on that.

I'm part ex'ing my Superduke in order to buy her so that probably goes against me but they have offered me £5500 part ex so I was thinking another £3000 on top to make it £8500.

I will give that a go, cheers.

I got rid of my superduke for me beemer too.
I would say it was too dear also for that milage.
2011 is the best bike by the way...its the only year that hasn't had a recall ::)

Back