A up nar

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixer Rob

Reaction score
ow do!!
user name makes it a bit obvious what bike im coming from! :p
going to look at a 2011 S1000RR on saturday at Williams BMW Manchester,its Thundergrey,with 2600 miles on it....and maybe trading in my GSXR K8 1000.
any tips on what i should be looking for or asking about specific to the S1000 would be great!!??
so far ive come up with
Faulse neutral fault,will it be covered under warranty?
con rod bolt recall? (or is that just 2010 models?)
red plug to unlock slick mode..
and a kill switch issue??? not sure what the issue is???
whens next service due and how much ££££ ??
anything else??

great looking site and seems pretty friendly..
im also a member of Gixerjunkies and a moderator on Kill-Switch.....
oh and I suppose Id better admit to being a mate of lllN30lll !! ::)

pic of my current bike

photo-2.jpg

cheers Rob

Welcome to the forum buddy, only thing I would add is that the recall relates to the 2012 model and not earlier ones.

You could also ask them to explain why dealers are not recommending using the QS at high revs but have a whole section in the manual about race prepping the bike for use on tracks.

Enjoy

Lads, you'll be glad to know I finally talked Rob around, he was about to deposit on a bloody 2012 gsxr 1000. BLEUGHH

Roll on Saturday Rob :) :)

Ay up.

To answer your questions.....

The gearbox will probably feel less refined than the GSXR but it's pretty sound it just needs positive prods and check the slack on the chain and clutch lever. It gets better.

The conrod only applies to 2012 machines.

The bike should come with a slick mode chip which plugs into a socket under the riders seat. The mode can only be accessed when fitted.

There's a general issue with the switch gear on both handle bars any one of the switches can go up the houses the kill switch being the most inconvenient. Easily fixed under warranty. Mines a 2011 and so far just the high beams gone.

Next service will be at 6000 miles or within 12 months and is an oil and filter change and poss brake fluid. Expect to be relived of at least £220.

Loud ticking from the front of the engine maybe the exhaust balance valve (rare). The camchain can be noisy on start up but should disappear very quickly. Bare in mind it is a noisier beast than the Suzuki.

And don't expect that grin to disappear quickly.

Make sure you get 2 proper keys and a plastic spare. The Keys are proper expensive. Also check that the tools are there including a Plastic looking socket.
You also get the dealer to check that the suspension is set on standard, wont take em long.

[size=14pt]Oh I forgot to say Hi and Welcome mate[/size] ;)

now then me duck , you lot are pretty near me but none the less foreign ;)
welcome aboard , hope you enjoy your new K5 *cough% i mean S thou
enjoy and see you around i am sure , i go over stoke/leek way a lot
theres a bend near the pub over blackshaw moor when going from leek to buxton which has the right camber and you can scrape your slider all the way round , do ya know it ?

cheers for all the tips fellas..looking forward to saturday!! hope it blows me away!!

Fatbob..yeh i think I know the one your on about,pub used to be called travellers rest,its a left hander 90 degree coming from Leek??
Im in Werrington mate but a clayhead at heart
'Stoke On Trent born and bred,strong in the arm and thick in the head!' ;D

few of us go out together, lllN30lll on his S thou,guy on a 09 Blade,lad on a Speed triple,guy on a 675 trumpet and me on who nows what next!! :-\, give me a shout if you fancy joining us anytime..
(had txt from lad with 675 earlier,,,,,he's going have a look at a 2010 S thou tomorrow!!! ;D,,the rots setting in!!)

Rob

Back