BMW Tailbag

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Just got my first S1K, and loving it so far. By the look of this forum, I'm starting to wish it had arrived with the Contis on it, but I'll just have to see how long the Metzlers last..

Anyway, my question is about luggage. The US S1000 forum seems to have some comments that the BMW tail bag doesn't properly fit the 2012 model, and as such can cause some damage to the fairing paintwork. I mentioned it to a dealer this week, and they didn't know anything about it, didn't think it was an issue (no returns, no complaints, say its a good seller). I don't plan to use luggage that often, so I'm not keen on the Ventura system, nor on using a rucksack.

Has anyone got one, and what's your experience of it? Any alternatives?

Cheers

Rick

I have one that I use on 2011 model. Just use some of that non slip stuff underneath covering the paint work. If you have a tail tidy then need to make sure that rear connector is put in right place to stop bag slipping forward slightly

hi i have a 2012 model and have put luggage on it from new with no protection done about 4100 miles n used the luggage for a lot of these miles with no problems.

hi rick, not had a problem with mine mate but not used it much. Recomend you put a quick hello in the welcome area fella, you'll get more from the site.

I have not got a 2012 but have used the tailbag. Its not waterproof as BMW claim. I line mine with a rubbish bag, works a treat.

Well, I took the plunge and bought one.....and plunge is a fitting word. Fair enough, the rain was biblical at the weekend, but got home to find a puddle of water in the bottom of it. It also moves around a lot, if youre not careful. Found this was to do with the straps slackening all by themselves, which isn't impressive. I shall reserve final judgement until I've used it a bit more. Thanks for your comments.

Rick

RickS1K link=topic=1434.msg13889#msg13889 date=1348521626 said:
the rain was biblical at the weekend, but got home to find a puddle of water in the bottom of it. It also moves around a lot, if youre not careful. Found this was to do with the straps slackening all by themselves, which isn't impressive.
Hi Rick, sorry to hear that your experience almost matches my 1st outing using the tail pack but i did line mine with a rubbish sack. There was a small puddle of water when I got home but all my clothes were dry, as I said previously its not waterproof :(.
To stop the bag moving around I use a lump of this rubber protective matting rolled up and placed on top of the seat http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=507095 . This helps in 2 ways, firstly it lifts the bag off of the paintwork (if tied down hard) and secondly it definitely stops any movement in any riding conditions ;D
Hope the above is helpful, load it up and try it.

Phil

Back