gearbox

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo

Reaction score
Ok i have a 2012 s1000rr and i am getting to the point where i feel like selling it. I am having two issues which are becoming very annoying and i cannot seem to solve them. The first is the gearbox, i am constantly getting neutral and also shifting from 2-3 or 3-4 quite often it goes into an unknown space between gears and the motor revs to the limit. It does not show neutral on the dash it goes blank. This is happening several times a ride. It is to the point i am thnking of it everytime i gas it. I have tried no qs and tried a hm plus qs and am having the same problems. I believe i am going to ruin the motor if this keeps happening. Is anyone else haviing this problem ??

The next is a hesitation under hard throttle, the bike bogs then goes. I has a new full arrow, pcv, sfm, and has been tuned by the best in the country. These two problems in there own right are unsatisfactory but together they are giving me the shits !! Sorry for ranting but i am hoping someone has some advice regrding solving these issues. Bmw has none.

Simple-regarding the gearbox-complain to your dealer,but check your rearsets or clutch lever first(assuming you have aftermarket ones).
The other option is a FactoryPro stiffer detent spring
Regarding the mapping-speak to the dyno man!.It probably needs a bit more fuel low down.

Try adjusting your gear shift postion if that dont help get on to your dealer,i know early 2010 bike were a bit ropy on the gearbox shifts but my 2011 bike is better than my 2010 for gear changes

well it seems this is a unique problem to me which means i need to persist with my setup. In stock trim i had no hesitation, however the bike has all new kit and been tuned by two tuners now. Bmw said try putting my lamda sensors back in which i did to no avail. As for the gearbox i got this with the stock setup also. I have fitted gilles fx rear sets, titax levers and a hm plus qs. I had the qs installed and setup by a reputed mechanic whom did the second map also. After three weeks of fiddling and no positive results other than a screamer power band i got a bit fed up and threw me toys out of the pram. I don't feel i should be putting springs in the gearbox or such on a new bike especially one that cost me £14000. the hesitation i can live with but the box issue if not resolved will mean bye bye.

I'm a bit confused.Do you use this on the road,or is it a race bike?
If it's only a road bike then throw it back at the dealer(although you will have to remove levers,pegs etc.)

If it's a race bike then you have so many issues to affect the setup.Rearsets can cause an issue,race shift has been known to cause issues,clutch lever switch adjustment can cause problems.

If you had the problem when it was standard,why didn't you complain to the dealer then?
As you've always had the shift problem-perhaps it's you!!-It's not as slick as a gsxr 'box,it requires a firm shift.

FactoryPro spring will definitely help-it's easy to fit,tho' you do need to remove the clutch assembly to fit it.

Re.the hesitation,I had the same problem and the dyno man added a bit more fuel at the appropriate revs which cured the problem.

baz link=topic=1399.msg13323#msg13323 date=1347255661 said:
If it's only a road bike then throw it back at the dealer(although you will have to remove levers,pegs etc.)

If it's a race bike then you have so many issues to affect the setup.Rearsets can cause an issue,race shift has been known to cause issues,clutch lever switch adjustment can cause problems.

If you had the problem when it was standard,why didn't you complain to the dealer then?
As you've always had the shift problem-perhaps it's you!!-It's not as slick as a gsxr 'box,it requires a firm shift.

FactoryPro spring will definitely help-it's easy to fit,tho' you do need to remove the clutch assembly to fit it.

Re.the hesitation,I had the same problem and the dyno man added a bit more fuel at the appropriate revs which cured the problem.
Very good post, well put ;)

he's right about the low fueling , i noticed the difference at first with a full system and the grunt not being quite the same , however I have also noticed the "fucking hell" you get past 10k :eek:

Could be a turkey gearbox i suppose , never had any issues with mine

fatbob link=topic=1399.msg13333#msg13333 date=1347268529 said:
he's right about the low fueling , i noticed the difference at first with a full system and the grunt not being quite the same , however I have also noticed the "fucking hell" you get past 10k :eek:
:) :) :)
Followed by "was that a copper? ah sod it he wont keep up!" ;)

baz link=topic=1399.msg13323#msg13323 date=1347255661 said:

Don't be confused it's simple, the bike at present is just road however i want to track it but cannot while it is like it is hence the reason i am on here looking for solutions and positive feedback. The bike had the issue with false neutrals and getting lost between 3-4 gear while stock but i put it down to the stock qs. i mentioned it to bmw and they said that the stock one was not a proper qs and that most racers upgrade the qs so i did.. I now have fitted a full arrow works ti system, fx gilles rear sets in race shift, mwr airfilter, titax levers, pcv, sfm and it been dynoed twice. Bmw's view was put it all back to stock and we will then consider your problems.

I believe the issues can be resolved quicker by pooling experience rather than i randomly fiddling with my setup in a clueless mission to solve the shifting saga. Nobody needs to take any of this personaly as though they were the genius behind the creation of the s 1000rr.
i have spent plenty of time and money fiddling with my setup and will obviously continue to do so. if nobody is having the issue i am with the box then that gives me hope of a resolve. The bike has been mapped by two well know bsb tuners and both are stumped as to the cause of the hesitaion.

Quite simply-some of these bikes have had problems,but most are due to aftermarket parts.You need to do a process of elimination.
Do you have a problem when the QS is unplugged?-if yes,then it obviously isn't the QS.

Your dealer is quite correct-how can they sort the problem if you've stuck lots of bits on?
As I stated previously,there have been faults reported with aftermarket rearsets,clutch levers and even race shift conversions.Remove the rearsets and levers and get the dealer involved.That's what warranty is for.

Back