K3 seems to be too soft.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumppole

Reaction score
My second flat in 3 months.

Is it my imagination or are the K3's more prone to punctures than other tyre types. I'm assuming this is due to them getting very soft during a quick ride.

Anyone else found the K3 is more likely to sustain punctures than other popular tyres such as 2CT's and quali RR's?

Not sure mate but I just have over 800 miles and got
a soding puncture and it cost me £167 fitted for a new
k3 so going back to dunlops when these have had it

I believe the K3 has a very thin carcass as do the K1 and K2 compared to the other supersport tyres. Mine only lasted 1000 miles as well which is a bit harsh so switched to BSBs

+1 sticky sports tyres equal thin light carcass with no tread depth. Apparently you are also more likely to get a puncture in the wet because the sharp object is lubricated by the wet. Or is that just sods law.

Got a puncture on my conti sport attack.little screw was the culprit.plugged it with stop&go tyre plugger kit for a while then I replaced both tyres with Dunlop sportsmarts £250 fitted to bike.

unionjack link=topic=1379.msg13198#msg13198 date=1347043152 said:
+1 sticky sports tyres equal thin light carcass with no tread depth. Apparently you are also more likely to get a puncture in the wet because the sharp object is lubricated by the wet. Or is that just sods law.

Agreed..

The K3 is still essentially a race/sports tyre, although the harder compound option.

Having taken a few of these off I can say they have a VERY thin carcass, almost worrying when they are down to minimum tread depth. A lot of the sport tyres are going the same way, they are performance tyres after all.

This is why ive stopped using the super soft tyres on the road.....you get shitty mileage and punctures you cant fix! :mad: ;D ;D
Best used for track not our third world, debris infested, excuse for roads ;) ;)

I'm on my second rear tyre,but had no punctures yet,but I'll be trying the bsb's next. Because I know ths time round they won't last!

I have today just replaced the K3's with Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmarts. Put about 100 miles on them on the way home. Wow these tyres sure do like to tip into corners, suprised me at the first roundabout I arrived at. I nearly took a trip across the central island it turned in so much more aggressively than the K3's.

They seem more than capable on the S1K. They warm up quickly and seem to have plenty of grip when leaning heavily.

I loved the K3's but they are so thin I kept picking up punctures. I hope these will be a little more robust with the harder compound central zone.

Yea on third K3 , they last 1,500 tops . Going to try BSB next time round. Read in Motorcycle Snooze Andy Downes has done over 4,000 miles on Dunlop Sportsmart ! But reading his article sounds like he is not the most aggresive rider :eek:

Back