Raising the rear!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flowerpower

Reaction score
Hi all,

You might already be aware but during my last race weekend it was suggested to me to raise the rear of the bike, as I was having trouble tipping in, and hitting the apex. I was using the stock front and rear suspension and had run out of options with the settings available.

Another BMW racer showed me that raising the rear was as easy as turning around the spacer at the top of the rear shock (the one that has the bolt through it).

It was a little awkward to do but wow what a difference it made! Tighter turning and apex's hit..... Job done! lol

Still need to upgrade from the stock suspension though as it "goes off" very quickly when on the track (if only I had the raw talent to ride anything, it would make a race bike cheaper to build anyway! lol).

Cheer for listening, Matt.

Seconded, while in germany this year i decided to give this a go a couldn't believe the difference it made, especially round Spa!
is yours a 2010/11 model?

Not surprisingly they don't mention it in the handbook. I thought about doing it but its not a five minute job to change back back on the road. As a compromise I increased the pre-load which speeded up turn in but made it instantly more slap happy so the front went up a tad to even things out. It needs work.

Just stumbled across this thread..

Iv literally just changed the top link position tonight. Its given about an extra 5mm of lift on the rear. Should make a difference at Snett on Monday. Really looking forward to see what it's going to be like.

Only a 5 minuite job too :)

Finally got round to doing it last week.
Tried it at Snet this week-wow,what a difference!
Turned in(late) at Ago's and had to turn out again!
It was really busy with variable talents(!)but it was so easy changing direction around the slower bikes.
I was lapping,in traffic,2 secs a lap quicker than normal so it obviously suits me.

And the best bit-IT COSTS NOTHING!

"And the best bit-IT COSTS NOTHING!"

Thats probably why BMW dont tell people about it! lol

I thought that i would have been the only person who didnt know about this. Starting to think that i should have kept quite! I would have looked like a track hero with my late tip-ins! lol

Hopper link=topic=1377.msg13150#msg13150 date=1346969280 said:
Just stumbled across this thread..

Iv literally just changed the top link position tonight. Its given about an extra 5mm of lift on the rear. Should make a difference at Snett on Monday. Really looking forward to see what it's going to be like.

Only a 5 minuite job too :)
You can do mine then Russ ;)

I'll bring some Axel Stands, we can sort it. Not too sure how it will be on the road though dude

Hopper link=topic=1377.msg13191#msg13191 date=1347040221 said:
I'll bring some Axel Stands, we can sort it. Not too sure how it will be on the road though dude
True,didn't think that,may not bother,unless an advantage on the street he he.

Back