Downshift Issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilfster

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with their S1000 occasionally not finding a gear when downshifting? I experienced this more than once today at Donnington, usually when dropping from 3 to 2. My bike is the 2011 model.

You using the BMW Shift Assist ?

If you are, then iv had the same problem going up the box from 2-3.

Think you'll find shift assist is for upshifts not downshifts. S1K is not a slick box, you have to be firm when shifting, never been happy with it compared with my jap bikes but has got better as miles increase. Upshifts much better when ringing its neck ;D 2010, can't speak for the '12 would hope after 2 yrs it is better?

Yep, I've had this too. But agree, it needs a firm foot and is alot smoother when giving it some beans...

bananaman link=topic=1371.msg13057#msg13057 date=1346832543 said:
Think you'll find shift assist is for upshifts not downshifts. S1K is not a slick box, you have to be firm when shifting, never been happy with it compared with my jap bikes but has got better as miles increase. Upshifts much better when ringing its neck ;D 2010, can't speak for the '12 would hope after 2 yrs it is better?

It was early, I was tired..... Give me a break lol ;D

Saying that though, have they come up with a nipper box for the S1000 yet ?

Can't remember ever having an issue going down gears but I'm old school and still blip the throttle. Check the slack on the clutch lever as this seemed to make all the difference on mine at least.

Thanks for the responses. I do have the quick shift but as mentioned by others this isn't relevant when down shifting. I have changed the levers, as a result I will adjust the cable as suggested. However, having researched online, particularly on US sites, the S1K clutch gets bad press. Has anyone upgraded their clutch? Barnett clutches seem to get positive reviews.

Dont think its a clutch problem, its a box problem as far as i can tell. If i am more positive with gear change i have no problems whatsoever. But i'm no expert 8)

bananaman link=topic=1371.msg13118#msg13118 date=1346919010 said:
Dont think its a clutch problem, its a box problem as far as i can tell. If i am more positive with gear change i have no problems whatsoever. But i'm no expert 8)

+1 to that.

bananaman link=topic=1371.msg13057#msg13057 date=1346832543 said:
2012, cant compare to say if its better or not, but can say it's not brilliant! :-\

Trumpetman21 link=topic=1371.msg13120#msg13120 date=1346932186 said:
bananaman link=topic=1371.msg13118#msg13118 date=1346919010 said:

+1 to that.

which bit, expert?? ??? ;)

Mine hits false neutrals and gets lost between gears going up the box. it is a 2012 and there is no way i could race with this bike.

Firmer prod on the gear stick or adjust gear stick height can also help with a more positive gear change.... ;)

Back