Could you avoid this?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1369.msg12995#msg12995 date=1346772233 said:
I would of been going a lot slower approaching this,it would of been in the back of my mind,'hmmm I think this guy is going to turn in on me' but the lorry driver is f**king blind!

Fighting With Lorries.
Lorry driver needs his licence revoking unbelievable ?? hope the rider was ok ? :(

I agree,shocking error really. But it happens everyday on the roads,most people are blind when it comes to motorcycles!

Lorry drivers claim to be professionals! Professional what is the question. Think rider would have virtually have had to drop speed to a crawl to avoid this jerk. Weather conditions seemed good and positioned in middle of road. I think we all would have reduced some of our speed and covered brake but it seems the lorry had stopped before making the manoeuvre so an assumption could have been taken that he may have spotted the guy coming. I know never assume as makes ass out of u and me, but personally think the rider had done enough. Hopefully police will use this video to throw everything at the lorry driver. I will stop ranting

I would say when a driver makes a turn across the front of you like that its pretty much unavoidable.

Should be given as stiff a penalty as allowed.

Hope the rider was ok, and pillion if there was one.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the red lorry was clearly still moving as he approached at speed (despite the narration saying different) forgetting the black lorry being a high potential risk. As long as wheels are turning on any vehicle it poses a high risk so that would have rung alarm bells for me straight away. We as bike riders should also consider that our machines bouncing around often makes our headlights look like we are flashing people to proceed although this is no defense but may save your life.

This is one reason why people in this country should be made to realise the correct use of 'flashing' the headlights. I never do it either in my car or on my bike.

Wow! Almost done this today!
Not on my bike but in lorry,I was waiting to turn right,and a van to my right was waiting to pullout,lorry coming the other way flashes and me thinking,he was letting me go,so van pulls out and I turn behind van and next thing I know the lorry is almost on top of me! I crapped my pants and we just missed each other! Never in all my years has ths happened.

Very same thing happened to me only with a volvo (car) didnt even have time to lay it down. 8ribs, right leg, arm with an half moon scar where i had to have emergancy op, i was twice a fatality..... :eek: I say this because her, yes HER penalty was 6points and 300 squid for undue care. apparently dangerous driving is only if you kill someone?!?!?!?

read an article in a mag some time ago, im not giving it any credability but it was interesting, in short this guy claimed that cars/ lorry etc drivers who pull out on bikes and claim they didnt see it, is bull. But their brains dont register danger to themselves. (i know we have all seen what a bike can do to a car and driver). because they dont register danger their reaction is to go ?!!?? either way its not forgivable. There may be some truth in it but my answer would be the same either way.. WAKE UP and concentrate, you wouldnt wave a gun around whilst thinking about what to cook or trying to reply to a text.

Split second decision Avoidance Skills are required, cant say whether I would have turned left (factory entrance?) but it was an option.

Easy to say while sitting here at my desk.

Nasty accident and I hope all are OK.

Approaching junctions is always dangerous and I always try to get some sort of eye contact or acknowledgement from the drivers of the vehicle I am approaching. If I do not get this I always assume that they have not seen me but I must admit generally they have and do not pull out. That said it has happened to me lots of times but thankfully always without incident (I've been riding for 33yrs).
What I do not understand is who is the driver holding a conversation with ?, is it on the phone ?, you ask if this could have been avoided, perhaps it could have if more focus was on driving rather than chatting ?

Easy to say I know and without a doubt the lorry driver is totally to blame, but could it have been avoided........perhaps.

Cheers
D

awful observation by the lorry driver but there are various advanced riding techniques the rider could have used to possibly avoid the crash.
1. add main beam headlight on approach to draw attention. Leave switched on until past the trucks. Remember this is actually the correct use of our main beam!
2. position bike to left of lane (position 1) on approach. This would give more space to escape/avoid the black truck and also creates a sideways motion from the bike headlight as you change position drawing additional attention. The rider would then change his position left of lane once past the black truck across to right of his lane (position 3) to pass/avoid the red truck.
3. Dare i say it .....hi-viz clothing! We're all guilty of not wearing hi-vis at times but it makes such a massive difference! Other drivers see us soooo much easier!
4. As someone elses states here...always seek out eye contact with anyone about to cross your path....its not a guarantee that they won't wipe you out anyway, but at least if they're not even looking at you that's a clue to beware!
Anyway...hope the rider made a full speedy recovery and the lorry driver got his stupid blind ass banned from our roads!! ;-)

awful observation by the lorry driver but there are various advanced riding techniques the rider could have used to possibly avoid the crash.
1. add main beam headlight on approach to draw attention. Leave switched on until past the trucks. Remember this is actually the correct use of our main beam!
2. position bike to left of lane (position 1) on approach. This would give more space to escape/avoid the black truck and also creates a sideways motion from the bike headlight as you change position drawing additional attention. The rider would then change his position left of lane once past the black truck across to right of his lane (position 3) to pass/avoid the red truck.
3. Dare i say it .....hi-viz clothing! We're all guilty of not wearing hi-vis at times but it makes such a massive difference! Other drivers see us soooo much easier!
4. As someone elses states here...always seek out eye contact with anyone about to cross your path....its not a guarantee that they won't wipe you out anyway, but at least if they're not even looking at you that's a clue to beware!
Anyway...hope the rider made a full speedy recovery and the lorry driver got his stupid blind ass banned from our roads!! ;-)

Interesting....I take it that you have yr advanced? I havn't and please don't think this is any criticism, just my 40ish years experience on the road (and yes, tests were around then :) )
1/ adding main beam could be construed as the start of a flash (just like going over a bump, had that before) and isn't blinding someone incorrect use?
2/ Positioning on the left of yr lane approaching a junction with a vehicle in it waiting to proceed? Are you also saying once past the danger point on the right there's enough time/space to move to the centre line to avoid the danger on the left? There's a possibility the red truck hadn't seen the rider and pulled out to go left, what then?
3/ Agree but why the hell do we have to dress up in that garb to make up for other peoples shortfalls? If they can't see a headlight bouncing around ......
4/ It's a little more difficult to make eye contact with someone 8-10 feet in the air lol I always watch wheels with lorries.

This thread is old but still makes you think.

It was avoidable.
1. Even on tiny screen (iPad) you could see lorry indicating and there was no adjustment of rider position or speed for at least 4 seconds. In that time I would have slowed to a point I could stop.
2. WTF is he waffling on about? Clearly doing a video for some reason and not concentrating and therefore gaining Information (1st element of advanced system)
i am not saying the lorry driver was not fully at fault, just that as riders we are the most vulnerable out there so need to account for the useless abilities of others. As an aside does cavey get an award for resurrecting such an old post!

Last edited:
Interesting....I take it that you have yr advanced? I havn't and please don't think this is any criticism, just my 40ish years experience on the road (and yes, tests were around then :) )
1/ adding main beam could be construed as the start of a flash (just like going over a bump, had that before) and isn't blinding someone incorrect use?
2/ Positioning on the left of yr lane approaching a junction with a vehicle in it waiting to proceed? Are you also saying once past the danger point on the right there's enough time/space to move to the centre line to avoid the danger on the left? There's a possibility the red truck hadn't seen the rider and pulled out to go left, what then?
3/ Agree but why the hell do we have to dress up in that garb to make up for other peoples shortfalls? If they can't see a headlight bouncing around ......
4/ It's a little more difficult to make eye contact with someone 8-10 feet in the air lol I always watch wheels with lorries.

This thread is old but still makes you think.

Hey Bananaman...wasnt actually expecting anyone to notice this ancient post! lol....thanks for your thoughts and no criticism taken ;-) Yeah i've done my advanced test and also teach the advanced course and Bikesafe with the Police. One thing i've learnt about advanced riding is their are lots of grey areas...not much is black and white and i'm constantly questioning things i've been taught....i hear many mixed opinions from advanced tutors and also the police riders who i've often heard debate what's right and wrong in any given situation!

I guess i should maybe be a bit more careful when chatting about this stuff on here coz there's lots of ways someone can misunderstand. Here's a few extra thoughts tho.....

I thought exactly the same thing and it wasn't until i went to train with the police riders that they we're encouraging me to "light people up" as they put it.....but.....to avoid it being construed as a flash (important point there!) you need to get it on early...so i'd have thrown my main beam on as soon i saw the two lorries and leave it on until you pass. I questioned the police thinking it was bad etiquette to dazzle other drivers but they just said its better to be seen and is totally legal...in fact exactly what main beam is meant for in highway code. Having said that i still shy away from using it in dim light or nighttime unless i really have to and often thank drivers after i pass to apologies for blinding them!! :-/ Also i guess the lorry drivers wouldn't suffer as much from being blinded with being a bit higher up??

Again slightly grey area here...some advanced tutors would say split the difference and pass the lorries in middle of road (position 2) but i'd prefer to stick with my original positioning (approach in position 1 left then move to 3 right) .....only thing being the speed has to be reduced to give you time to move away from the lorry on the left in good time. This gives you the maximum safety "bubble" (distance) away from each lorry. The key thing here is reduce speed. Also a change of position on approach is always a good way of drawing attention...the eye is always drawn to something moving across the road as opposed to a static position approach. Hope that makes sense?? Much easier to explain in person!

3/ Agree but why the hell do we have to dress up in that garb to make up for other peoples shortfalls? If they can't see a headlight bouncing around
I totally agree....unfortunately as you know many drivers just don't see us....we didn't get to see what was behind the rider but maybe he was blending in to the background a bit?? I don't like wearing hi-viz but when i do wear it i somehow feel safer. Still no guarantees tho!

Totally agree with watching wheels! ;-) ...i've had drivers look me staright in the eye and STILL pull out on me so moving wheels is the main thing i watch for.

Anyways, stay safe out there folks! ;-)

Back