Sprocket change & DTC

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul1098

Reaction score
Hi, might be a daft newbie Q. My mate on an RSV4 Aprc has lost the use of his TC until he finds a 1K straight flat track to re calibrate the system after changing front & rear sprockets.

I was just wondering whether swapping the sprockets caused the same issues with the S1000rr DTC or ABS?

Anyone managed to find a wiring diagram yet?

fatbob link=topic=1343.msg12700#msg12700 date=1346407863 said:
Changed my sprockets a few times and had no issues.
Was that both front & rear (although can't see why it would make a difference)

APRC recalibration is a bit of a pain but it ain't that bad. You need to calibrate it when you fit a new tyre iirc.

I'm pretty certain it doesnt need much straight road. I used to do mine on the slip road into the A55 when it was quiet. It was normally done in less than 20 secs. 2nd gear, 25 mph. Easy.

It needs recalibration for new tyres or new sprockets on the Aprilia.

I've just replaced the rear tyre - what do I now need to do the recalibrate the TC?

I have just ridden to the Manx and razzed it round a few times with no issues, but maybe I wouldn't know if it's working correctly or not as I have not been pushing it too much due to the dampness.

Dartanion link=topic=1343.msg12719#msg12719 date=1346429985 said:
I've just replaced the rear tyre - what do I now need to do the recalibrate the TC?

I have just ridden to the Manx and razzed it round a few times with no issues, but maybe I wouldn't know if it's working correctly or not as I have not been pushing it too much due to the dampness.

I stand to be wrong... but..... it only causes probs if you change the width of the tyre. There is something on here about 200 section rears causing TC probs but simply chucking a new rear on is fine as long as it's a 190/55

Yep a taller or shorter profile tire will alter the circumference of the wheel which would confuse the TC as the rear would be effectively rotating faster or slower than the front all the time and the TC works on picking up speed differences between front and back.

Simple answer, stick to 190/55! there's a ton of choice in rubber that fits, im sure you'll find more than one thread on here about the black round things to fimd something that will suit!!!

Johnboy link=topic=1343.msg12727#msg12727 date=1346436301 said:
Dartanion link=topic=1343.msg12719#msg12719 date=1346429985 said:

I stand to be wrong... but..... it only causes probs if you change the width of the tyre. There is something on here about 200 section rears causing TC probs but simply chucking a new rear on is fine as long as it's a 190/55

Thanks John, sort of assumed that should be the case, but good to get it confirmed - cheers mate.

Was wondering about 190/65/17 Ntec slicks. Might have to revise that. Had heard that these changes can be accommodated if you go for a kit ecu?
I wonder if you can get an hp4 ecu where you can adjust the TC to your own requirements.

paul1098 link=topic=1343.msg12893#msg12893 date=1346679373 said:
Was wondering about 190/65/17 Ntec slicks. Might have to revise that. Had heard that these changes can be accommodated if you go for a kit ecu?
I wonder if you can get an hp4 ecu where you can adjust the TC to your own requirements.

Cant see BMW selling the ecu's seperate, not for a few yrs at least, they wont even put heated grips on the "old" bikes. What puts you off the rubber available matey? Could be worth playing around with a few part worn sets off the flea before going down the (expensive) ecu route

Think your probably right, it would be expecting too much of bmw to sell hp4 ecu.
Was looking at ntec slicks as they're the dogs danglies but if it causes an issue I'll go with some other tyre or stick with treaded.

Back