BMW QS problems

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Had the S1000rr out on the Track on Monday. Really got to stretch its legs and had a great time. However I was hitting a lot of false neutrals. Most seem to be from 2nd to 3rd whilst hard on the gas. They seemed to happen a lot more frequent the further the day went on.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Is there anyway I would be able to adjust the shift time ?

Would like to see if anyone else has had these problems

:)

mine was a bit wank when it was new between 5th & 6th
Its since cleared up though i put some of them down to me being a fairy with my foot

yeah you can shift the little light , it should be in the book how to do it

After having a HM, a HM+, and a Bazzaz I really wasn't impressed with BMW's attempt, I'll be getting a HM soon.

Yeah I get it now and again,but it's only done it a couple of times,just give it a good hard lift lol
As for the limit press the SET button until you reach the Setup Menu,then hold the SET button until you see the SHIFT menu comes on,then hold SET again and the limit RPM will flash,now press TRIP or SET this will shift the limit up or down,once you have desired RPM hold SET again,then press the SET button 6 times until you reach the RETURN menu,now hold TRIP until you reach main HUD. Enjoy!

Hi Russ,
Shame I didn't know yesterday

Could be various issues:

Aftermarket Rearsets
Clutch Switch
Aftermarket levers
Useless quickshifter
Weak selector detent spring
Poor weld on selector shaft
Bent gearlever shaft

As you've only just got the bike,it may be you! It isn't as smooth as aftermarket shifters and requires a positive action,and is a bit sensitive to foot movement.

Clutch switch is the first thing to check though-listen for a click as you pull the lever.It neds to click about 30mm from the bar.

Unfortunately,gearchange can be a problem on some of these bikes.
I've had 'em all!
Now using a Cordona shifter on mine.
Ditched the SES rearsets-they made me get false neutrals
Tried the factory pro detent spring to eliminate occasional mis-shifts 5th/6th-it worked but took the skin off my toe!!

My other bike works perfectly on road or track

As regards adjustment,you may be able to do it with the HP software but you may have to have the HP ecu as well.I would speak to someone like Michael Neeves.

Oops,I may of got the wrong end of the stick about Shift Time lol oh well it may come in handy for someone else ;D

Yeah, the QS on mine isn't the best either. Failed upshifts & some false neutrals too. Seems it needs a fair old boot to get it to actuated sometimes.

Hello Russ. I had problems coming out of Murrays a couple of times yesterday changing up from 2nd to 3rd. It was just hitting the rev limiter and either went into a false N or wouldn't change up. I've had this on Bentleys before but learnt to change up well before the limiter and its not had it happened since.

Thanks for all the replays guys. I'll maybe adjust the gear shift rod up a little. I had most of the shifter problems on to the start finish. Having come from an HM shifter, the stock item does feel a little sloppy... If it persists I'll have a word with Park Lane see if we can come up with somthing

Hopper link=topic=1302.msg12225#msg12225 date=1345556382 said:
Hi Guys.

Had the S1000rr out on the Track on Monday. Really got to stretch its legs and had a great time. However I was hitting a lot of false neutrals. Most seem to be from 2nd to 3rd whilst hard on the gas. They seemed to happen a lot more frequent the further the day went on.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Is there anyway I would be able to adjust the shift time ?

I have the exact same problem and it happens a lot. I have hit many false neutrals and some times hav been unable to shift. Also when in full flight and changing near the limiter the actual gear change kills the power too long causing the revs to drop more than acceptable. Som much so it's a slow shifter not quick. I have just received som gilles fx rear sets with gp shift which means i will be A) pressing down to change B) the shift rod will be verticle which i am hoping rsults in smoother esier changes. will see.

It's a real pain. I run race shift with Alpha Rearsets. Think I'll have a play around with the shift rod. Maybe bring the lever up a fraction. It really only seems to be a problem on full throttle from 2nd to 3rd at around 12/13,000 rpm !!

So is the shift rod vertical with the Alpha ? mine is mainly 2-3rd in high revs also. Last week the thing stuck in limbo for 2 seconds at least. not neutral, no gear just limbo ! I was hoping a vertical shift would fix it :(

qs is shite below 9k, up in high revs is pretty good but it aint no jap bike! i find it very agricultural compared to my last gixxa/blade. False neutral sent me into kitty litter at brands (changing down) ive had ups/downs falsies, am more used to it now, just gotta be firm on the changes, not ideal but its what it is, last thing you should be worrying about when yr about to tip in...........

Damo link=topic=1302.msg12254#msg12254 date=1345581240 said:
So is the shift rod vertical with the Alpha ? mine is mainly 2-3rd in high revs also. Last week the thing stuck in limbo for 2 seconds at least. not neutral, no gear just limbo ! I was hoping a vertical shift would fix it :(

Shifter is vertical with the Alpha Racing rear sets. Im out again in a couple of weeks at Snett. See if it happens again after a little adjuster fiddling

bananaman link=topic=1302.msg12256#msg12256 date=1345581605 said:
qs is shite below 9k, up in high revs is pretty good but it aint no jap bike! i find it very agricultural compared to my last gixxa/blade. False neutral sent me into kitty litter at brands (changing down) ive had ups/downs falsies, am more used to it now, just gotta be firm on the changes, not ideal but its what it is, last thing you should be worrying about when yr about to tip in...........

You really don't need faulse neutrals just before tipping in. Had one tipping in to Paddock on my GSXR 750 last year. Quick thinking saved what could of been a BIG off :)

Hopper, be really careful trying to adjust the QS. I cant remember the exact way, but only adjust one of the nuts on the QS. Messing with the wrong ones can bugger the QS apparently.

The shift time of the OEM QS can not be adjusted.

Ok no probs. I won't bother mucking around with it. I'll give it one more try. I'm at Snett again on the 10th Sept. if its still doing it I'll get a new one fitted as the bike is still under warranty

I experienced this 3 or 4 times today going round snetterton, mainly seemed to be 2 - 3rd but did also have it when changing 3 to 4th and all at around 11-12k revs.

All of the down changes were fine but these were all with the clutch - never had this before and am a little concerned that the QS may be faulty at much higher revs.

Let us know what your dealer has to say may help to persuade mine that this could be a problem.

The trouble is it is not a quickshifter it is a 'shift assist'.It is also 3 times the size of the old style(microswitch type)and probably 6 times the size of strainguage shifters and,basically,too agricultural.Coupled to an over-engineered gearbox and it struggles to cope.It seems some bikes don't have a problem and some do.There are probably a lot of roadbikes out there with the problem but how many people,on the road,change gear at 13000+ rpm?(anyone who does is probably in prison now)

From what I've seen probably 90% of racers fit aftermarket shifters-and I bet none of the Superbikes use the OE shifter.

VINNY RR link=topic=1302.msg12303#msg12303 date=1345669799 said:
Hi baz...what do you mean by over engineerd gearbox ?

What I mean is, it is possibly overbuilt(i.e built to BMW standards for longevity with closer tolerances than ideal for race changes)

This is also apparent with the engine,as it seems to be quite common that,as the engine loosens up with mileage,horse power increases in many cases.Indeed,this was apparent on my own bike which picked up 10bhp(same dyno/same comparison bike)first session at 900 miles,second session 4000miles

Being honest,we expect a lot from this bike.It makes more power,revs to 14k,handles superbly,goes quicker,bimbles along,tours,wins races and puts a smile on our faces every time we ride it.It may not be perfect for everyone
but all-round there is nothing better.

Back