turning road bike into track bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s100rr_dude

Reaction score
Would you turn a 2016 bmw s1000rr into a track bike based on not having time to enjoy it as much as you would like ok the road

In short, yes.

Mine is close to being just that. If I'd had the money for more Euro trips this year it might not have been put back in its road clothes.
Speed limits, congested roads in the south, make it hard to enjoy it properly. So the track is where I get to enjoy it most.

If you can afford the multi-day euro trips or lots of UK days then I'd go for it and use something else on road.

Would you turn a 2016 bmw s1000rr into a track bike based on not having time to enjoy it as much as you would like ok the road

Don't you need more time to enjoy a bike on track, getting time off work etc? Are you saying you wouldn't enjoy any bike on the road, if that's the case and you do have time then stick the RR on track. Personally I don't have enough spare time with everything else going on in my life to spend any quality time on track but I still enjoy riding my bike on the road a lot, it's not just about going flat out is it?

Track Bike Conversion

My S1000RR is a track only bike as I am fortunate enough to have the flexibility to be able to do quite a few trackdays each season and I also instruct. It is also the only bike that I own. For me the choice was an easy one as I?ve always ridden on track and I care very little for road riding as I personally get no enjoyment from it.

I would only offer that your decision may be better based on whether you actually enjoy riding on the road or not. The risk is that if you do it for the wrong reasons you may actually use your bike much less than you do now. If you have difficulty finding time to ride on the road then you may struggle to get any use out of a converted track bike as owning one is much more restrictive. If it?s simply the case that you prefer riding on track, and have the capacity to do a lot of trackdays each year, then your rationale for making the decision will be different.

As Mac and Ryan have said, it all depends on whether or not you feel you?d be able to enjoy a sufficient number of track days to warrant a full track-bike conversion.

If on the other hand you simply wish to enjoy your RR as much as possible, then I would recommend keeping it fully road worthy, so you can enjoy both road riding and track-days as and when time allows.

That being said, do whatever is right for you and at the end of the day so long as you are enjoying your RR, that?s all that matters [emoji4]

Last edited:
Similar to Kenny, mine tends to be track from September to April then road from April to September.

This allows me to do Euro trips in the off peak but still warm months.

- Alex

I find I have no time to ride it on the road as I have no one to go out with and do t enjoy riding on my own, hence the question to put it on track and meet like minded people to ride with

I find I have no time to ride it on the road as I have no one to go out with and do t enjoy riding on my own, hence the question to put it on track and meet like minded people to ride with
It is grim down south if you choose your roads or times badly.
When I have flexibility, I try to sort my day so I'm in the saddle early during the week. Even the really busy roads down here are quiet between morning rush hour and early lunch. After that, it all goes to sh*t. Weekends are a joke unless you're up at the crack of a sparrows fart, especially in summer.

I've just ordered a set of fairings from Phil Crowey, with the intention of chopping and changing them for trackdays. Will still be a roadside, but with track fairings for a couple of outings a year
Where did you get your fairings from Kenny? I got a quote from SBK for ?750.

I got them direct from Phil Crowey. Got him through the Facebook group. They arrived yesterday, showed them to a friend that works in a body shop today, and he says the finish on them is better than most for painting.
I'm hoping to fit them to the bike this weekend to check the fit before painting them. They come with all screws/dzus clips, and use all the existing mounting points.
Think all in they were just over ?500 with a screen and seat.

Back