Metzeler K3 tyre wear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stevie boy

I've just bought an RR with 600 miles on the clock and it has K3s fitted. Bike has now doen 1400 miles (road not track yet) and I reckon there might be 1000 miles max left. It's one of 3 tyres recommended by bmw but the only metzeler. Not great mileage for road riding. Any views on swapping them for Metzeler Sportec M5 for road and then using K3s for track days ? M5 gets a great review (fitted to a RR) on visordown.com and scores much higher in the mileage category than the K3 and sys it's ideal for the "typical British sportsbike rider".

yup , did 3000 miles on a set , and didn't like em , tyre wear was good though I thought the feeling was very vague if you wanted any fun , i changed them for a set of 2ct's which were miles better in my opinion.
I also used the reviews as a guide , and am a fan of metzeler tires , I can remeber feeling genuinely gutted that I had left them on the bike for so long after changing to the 2CT's

I think the only way forward is for you to try the M5's, it seems that we all like/feel something different about tyres.
I wonder if the Visordown review would echo your thoughts or Bobs ;)

Everyone has their own opinions on tyres, personally can't fault the K3's, but then again I don't do a lot of road mileage.

One of the new bike magazines has a VERY extensive review of all the new tyres, tested on an s1000 as well, worth checking out for sure.

Thanks for comments guys. A mate of mine has 2ct's on his RR and is v pleased. So it's them or the M5.

what was the new bike mag green_machine?

stevie boy link=topic=1278.msg12695#msg12695 date=1346405923 said:
what was the new bike mag green_machine?

Fast Bikes did one - I haven't read it but I know one of the roadtesters and have been meaning to ask his opinion. I'll post any opinions after speaking to him.

just to throw another tyre into the pot of opinions and confusions, i have always been a fan of diablo rosso corsa's as an all round tyre. about 3 and half thou and good feed back. (although that was on the Suzie) JUST fitted a pair to the S thou but not in position to comment as yet.

jamie link=topic=1278.msg12707#msg12707 date=1346414132 said:
just to throw another tyre into the pot of opinions and confusions, i have always been a fan of diablo rosso corsa's as an all round tyre. about 3 and half thou and good feed back. (although that was on the Suzie) JUST fitted a pair to the S thou but not in position to comment as yet.

I've had these on mine for the past 2500 miles including a trip to Germany and two track days. I am thoroughly impressed with them even on track so they will probably get put back on again.

unionjack link=topic=1278.msg12735#msg12735 date=1346437208 said:
jamie link=topic=1278.msg12707#msg12707 date=1346414132 said:

I've had these on mine for the past 2500 miles including a trip to Germany and two track days. I am thoroughly impressed with them even on track so they will probably get put back on again.
just made me very happy, nice to know i havent chucked a load of cash down the swanny. they were very good on the suzie, road and good enough for the track, so had high hopes, but sometimes they dont transfer as well for reasons that are beyond me

I have M5 on the rear and k3 on the front and find them great. M5 has done about 3500 miles and still plenty left. The k3 is the original front from new.

that's very interesting red devil - I was told by an endurance racer not to mix them as I was thinking of doing the same as there's plenty of life left in the K3 on the front.

Back