Traction Control

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumppole

Reaction score
Another forum I use has a topic about the pitfalls of traction control.

The overall consensus seems to be that a TC system will get you into as much bother as it will help avoid.

This is the video that caused the conversation.

BMW S1000RR Huge Tank Slapper at Knockhill

The feeling is that without TC the rider would simply have powered through this. The belief seems to be that the DTC retarded the ignition and as such placed more weight upon the front wheel and in doing so exagerated a slight head shake into a tank slapper.

My thoughts were that the BMW electronics actually saved the bike. I cannot see the rider react in anyway during the tank slapper, even when the video is slowed down. What I do clearly see is a very clear drop in revs on the counter just before the bike sorts itself out.

What are your thoughts on TC?

Do you use it?

How many of you ride with it switched off?

Seems more likely this was caused by the rider gripping to hard and pull on the bars under acceleration, the traction control/anti wheelie may have started the problem but he would have had simular results had he of ridden over a bump.

I've had some mini shacks like that,but only when blasting over bumps and over some cats eyes lol
There is something else going on here,not sure how he got into so much bother? I think by gripping the bars tight may of made it worse. But you can't blame the TC for that.

But I'm no expert. My sp1 was an arse for tank slaps,had the mother of all slaps,which lifted my feet off the pegs once!

Anyone know what mode he was in?

Yes he states he was in race mode and claims it was the front lifting under hard acceleration and coming back down onto uneven ground that started the problems.

I've never experienced a tank slapper before despite riding an 08 Fireblade quickly and being rather rapid at times on my S1K. I guess they are a mystery to me and like all things mysterious I really want to know more.

Is the S1K known for causing tank slappers?

rumppole link=topic=1272.msg11808#msg11808 date=1344970478 said:
Yes he states he was in race mode and claims it was the front lifting under hard acceleration and coming back down onto uneven ground that started the problems.

I've never experienced a tank slapper before despite riding an 08 Fireblade quickly and being rather rapid at times on my S1K. I guess they are a mystery to me and like all things mysterious I really want to know more.

Is the S1K known for causing tank slappers?
I see,didn't pay attention lol
As for the Beemer,the damper could be better,but if you wring it's neck it will show you it's teeth! Like I said I've had some mini shacks,but mostly when tanking it over bumps,but it rides them out well,and I just smile and go. Just don't grip bars it will only make it worse.

I've watched that, its hardly much of a wheelie, if the front does lift at all.

The front comes down on uneven ground on a race track, not sure I go with that.

Im going for the fact he was gripping the bars too hard, or had fitted an adjustable damper and set it to stiffer that the OEM (both these amount to the same thing).

If he did roll off during the tankslapper that is also the wrong thing to do, if anything you should roll on slightly to unweight the front tyre.

Also one comment on another forum this is on blames the rider for cracking open the throttle like a switch rather than rolling it on smoothly.

Lastly if you do WOT in race mode with TC switched on the bike wheelies more than that video before the TC puts it down again, TC stops doing its thing and the wheel comes up again. Ypu end up pogoing the front wheel. I have done this many times and never had more than the tiniest of shakes (would hardly notice it).

Poor riding, and rubbish suspension set up is probably to blame for this. Can see how TC caused this at all......

Correct me if I'm blind, but when I kick in traction control I have a disco on dash board, he doesn't. IMHO it's not traction control.

When the TC kicks in the dash lights up (i know, its called me an idiot many times), looks to me like he ran out of revs/backed off at the wrong time

I also go with the bar input and rubbish damper theory...
IMHO the TC is a bit shit on the track , if you are confident in yourself , it goes a bit like a nodding dog on corner exit , so having the slick chip option is a good un :)

Cant see how TC has any play in what happens in this Vid its more like the anti wheelie that could cause it. Slow around the corner, low revs etc up to 18seconds all is smooth, no ham fisted throttle and acceleration is with the bike upright, at 19 seconds revs are at 12-13k and the fun starts.
From what I can see, the front pre load is set way off imo screwed almost right out (not enough) but the rider might be a lightweight ;).
TC is Good for those that feel the need to have it, it will not save a bike going down.
I do not use TC (its in my right hand).
I ignore the fact that I have it, same as abs.

Had a few of those, but not since i changed the damper. As stated, couldnt see tc light on and also bike was upright. More likely hanging too tight on the bars. I know for me i used to hang tighter on right bar when winding on the power, consequently the front loaded crossed when it came down, not ideal! Its a devil of a job not to hold on tight when the bikes trying to f.o. without you :eek:

You can see the DTC light flash at 18-19 seconds for anti wheelie, you might need to full screen it in HD to see it.

andybarsblade link=topic=1272.msg11854#msg11854 date=1345023420 said:
You can see the DTC light flash at 18-19 seconds for anti wheelie, you might need to full screen it in HD to see it.
Put it on full screen watched in 5 times and still could not see it mate, right, im off to the Opticians ;)

phil link=topic=1272.msg11863#msg11863 date=1345029044 said:
Put it on full screen watched in 5 times and still could not see it mate, right, im off to the Opticians ;)

Yeh in HD you can see it light up at exactly 18 secs, very faint but its there

Untitled-58.jpg

lllN30lll link=topic=1272.msg11876#msg11876 date=1345041467 said:
Untitled-58.jpg
Thanks for that, I could just about see it in the picture when blown up.

You can definately see the TC flashing. It's this more down to a poor Steering dampner than TC?

andybarsblade link=topic=1272.msg11884#msg11884 date=1345050582 said:
Pulling on the bars more than the steering damper

Do you mean gripping the bars tightly and locking arms?

Back