First Trackday Questions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
So I booked my first trackday today, April 9th at Donnington so I'm hoping for good weather. I did a Ron Haslam day last year but never managed a trackday on my bike because of work, this year I'm determined to do plenty though!

Anyone got any tips for must have items on the day, I'm only 20 mins away but thinking about hiring a van just so I can take plenty of stuff that I probably won;t need but if I've got it then no worries?

It's a 98dB day, from a quick google earlier my standard (exhaust wise) gen 1 should be quiet enough to pass this, anyone got any thoughts to fill me with confidence that it will?!

Do you have Sliders and engine protection?
If the worst happens then finding the correct colour match for the casings wasn't the easiest thing I've done...
Have a great day, you will love it.

Do you have Sliders and engine protection?
If the worst happens then finding the correct colour match for the casings wasn't the easiest thing I've done...
Have a great day, you will love it.

I've got more R&G gear than a little, but no engine sliders so might look into them. I'd like to think I'm going to be very chilled out and take it easy but can't see that happening in reality!

Hey Joe, I recognise your name from the clio forum. I had my first track day on my s1k a few weeks a go with no limits at Mallory park, and from the off the people I parked next too helped me out on everything from tyre pressures too helping unload and load my bike, people are more than willing to help you out if you need it.

My bike has a full ti arrow exhaust no cat or decibel killer and it was 102db so you should be fine. My top tip would be if your not using tyre warmers do plenty of warm up laps to get heat into the tyres (I was doing 4 laps) because I almost low sided getting to excited on my second lap out, take your time. It genuinely was one of the best days I have had and I much enjoyed doing a track day on the bike rather than in the car even though it was freezing.
you will love it.

Hey Joe, I recognise your name from the clio forum. I had my first track day on my s1k a few weeks a go with no limits at Mallory park, and from the off the people I parked next too helped me out on everything from tyre pressures too helping unload and load my bike, people are more than willing to help you out if you need it.

My bike has a full ti arrow exhaust no cat or decibel killer and it was 102db so you should be fine. My top tip would be if your not using tyre warmers do plenty of warm up laps to get heat into the tyres (I was doing 4 laps) because I almost low sided getting to excited on my second lap out, take your time. It genuinely was one of the best days I have had and I much enjoyed doing a track day on the bike rather than in the car even though it was freezing.
you will love it.

Didn't realise you were on here mate!

Thanks for that, yeah going to take my time on the tyres, got plenty of time in the day to try and get a bit quicker, just want to enjoy myself more than I can on the roads nowadays.
Be happy if I keep under the noise limits, I'd love a louder pipe but if I can get on 98 & 108 days then it means I can get more days in this year, plus 98's are a good chunk cheaper.

98db is the flyby noise limit it's equivalent to ~105 static. You should be fine.
Totally agree with Loupe, if there's one bit likely to touch down in a lowside (which you'll kick yourself over) its the engine covers. R&G will match your other parts, many of us use GB Racing...some even swear by Chinese metal case sliders on eBay (I won't though).

Which tyres are you running? We'll try to find you the recommended track pressures from the manufacturer,​ not just a guess from some guy down the pub :)

98db is the flyby noise limit it's equivalent to ~105 static. You should be fine.
Totally agree with Loupe, if there's one bit likely to touch down in a lowside (which you'll kick yourself over) its the engine covers. R&G will match your other parts, many of us use GB Racing...some even swear by Chinese metal case sliders on eBay (I won't though).

Which tyres are you running? We'll try to find you the recommended track pressures from the manufacturer, not just a guess from some guy down the pub :)

Not entirely sure you're correct, I have had a few occasions where I passed at 101 static and got black flagged on the fly by at 106 +

Trackday Noise Limits

If you are using a standard exhaust without modification (especially on an older model) then you should be fine on a 98 dB trackday. Some newer models have been know to fail drive-by testing with just the standard exhaust fitted (Ducati Panigale and 2015+ S1000RR) but it?s not that common. Bikes with aftermarket exhausts are normally ok but only with a baffle fitted. If in doubt just book yourself onto a different trackday with a higher noise limit.

Trackday

If it?s your first trackday, and your only 20 minutes away from the circuit, just turn up and ride. Apart from a helmet, leathers and a bike your unlikely to need anything else! That and lots of money for the very expensive food from the ?restaurant? at Donington Park.

Donington is my local track to. I always just ride there, and always take a packed lunch, and a couple of bottles of water. To avoid paying the silly on site prices.
Hope you have a good day and the weather is kind to you.

I'd take a long spanner to take your mirrors off, as they'll be folded in/taped if you don't - it's my personal preference to just get them out the way. I have Gen 2 RR with standard unmodified exhaust, never had an issue at Donington.

re that link to the closed thread on noise testing - was very surprised to see Castle Coombe's values vs Brands, Rockingham and Donny. Have done all 4, no issues with sounds testing except CC.

I'd take a long spanner to take your mirrors off, as they'll be folded in/taped if you don't - it's my personal preference to just get them out the way. I have Gen 2 RR with standard unmodified exhaust, never had an issue at Donington.

re that link to the closed thread on noise testing - was very surprised to see Castle Coombe's values vs Brands, Rockingham and Donny. Have done all 4, no issues with sounds testing except CC.

Small 10MM ratchet socket is easiest.
This little set, fits in the palm of your hand, perfect for a rucksack/tailbag. You can change the bits to suit our bikes too...
http://www.teng.co.uk/t1420-teng-tools-20-pce-socket-and-bit-set.html
[url]http://www.teng.co.uk/t1419-teng-tools-19-pce-socket-and-bit-set.html

[/URL]

Last edited:
I'd take a long spanner to take your mirrors off, as they'll be folded in/taped if you don't - it's my personal preference to just get them out the way.
CC.

..should have said that if you want to do this you'll need mirror blanking plates (or some tie-wraps)

Last edited:

Which tyres are you running? We'll try to find you the recommended track pressures from the manufacturer,​ not just a guess from some guy down the pub :)

Thanks will look into it, like the look of the GB ones to be honest.
I've got Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's, if you can help it would be really good thanks :)

If it’s your first trackday, and your only 20 minutes away from the circuit, just turn up and ride. Apart from a helmet, leathers and a bike your unlikely to need anything else! That and lots of money for the very expensive food from the ‘restaurant’ at Donington Park.

There's 2 of us going so the van will cost ?40 each on top so to be honest I think it's worth it. I can then take all my gear etc even if I won't need any of it, if one of us bins it we can take the bike away easily, also means we won''t ride home like idiots thinking we're racers so for ?40 it's a no brainer to me really.

..should have said that if you want to do this you'll need mirror blanking plates (or some tie-wraps)

Ok thanks I'll get them measured up and lasercut some at work beforehand, guessing this is to keep the fairings together as the mirror holds it all in place?

Re: Trackday Noise Limits

If you are using a standard exhaust without modification (especially on an older model) then you should be fine on a 98 dB trackday. Some newer models have been know to fail drive-by testing with just the standard exhaust fitted (Ducati Panigale and 2015+ S1000RR) but it?s not that common. Bikes with aftermarket exhausts are normally ok but only with a baffle fitted. If in doubt just book yourself onto a different trackday with a higher noise limit.

I've got a cheapish replacement end can on at the minute but it's certainly no louder than standard just in carbon so looks a bit better, so hoping it will be fine!

I'm hoping to maybe squeeze another day in before I go to the TT, ideally one a month while the weather is decent!

Well...damn there's no Pirelli pressure guide that I can find.

But as they are Pirelli and based on all the notes I've seen, 32 Front / 28 Rear would be my starting point.

Well...damn there's no Pirelli pressure guide that I can find.

But as they are Pirelli and based on all the notes I've seen, 32 Front / 28 Rear would be my starting point.

Without sounding completely clueless I'm guessing they're cold pressures?
Also, any recommendations for a digital pressure gauge, or are they all much the same?

Back