anyone disabled the exhaust valve @ end of the cat?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farebro

Reaction score
as above anyone?

i took my can off and started just with the cat and mmm its sounds better with the flap open

farebro link=topic=1228.msg11276#msg11276 date=1344111008 said:
as above anyone?

i took my can off and started just with the cat and mmm its sounds better with the flap open
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

I've pulled the cables out on mine so the flap stays open, much nicer rumble at idle and low down. 8)

Ducky link=topic=1228.msg11295#msg11295 date=1344164294 said:
I've pulled the cables out on mine so the flap stays open, much nicer rumble at idle and low down. 8)
Same as, if you do it with the standard you will loose bottom end power unless you map for it ::)

babarr46 link=topic=1228.msg11297#msg11297 date=1344170640 said:
Ducky link=topic=1228.msg11295#msg11295 date=1344164294 said:
Same as, if you do it with the standard you will loose bottom end power unless you map for it ::)

Sorry Babarr but that is utter crap. The valve is there for noise reasons. Nothing more. There are a set of valves in the headers for back pressure and bottom end torque. The cat valve has nothing to do with it.

Your post suggested that disconnecting the cat valve "lost bottom end power" - that is totally incorrect.

For those that want a little more noise, disconnecting the valve cables will do absolutely nothing to change the performance of the bike.

This is the point of the thread after all. It's obvious a full system will be better than the oem exhaust.

I've just done mine. 5 min job and I wire locked the valve open just in case the spring ever fails (slim chance I reckon). I kept my cables attached to the bike, just disconnected from the valve. It's a piece of piss. The only thing that might concern me is with the cover reattached, although it looks like nothing has been touched, as the servos move I can't be sure what the cables might be rubbing against under the cover. I'm not going to remove the cables in toto as the option of easily putting it back together appeals!

Noise increase is marginal, growls and rumbles at low revs more though. Not managed a test ride yet, it's shitting it down here.

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1228.msg11358#msg11358 date=1344237210 said:
Doesn't show a good step by step on there,just some guy pointing lol needs a good guide so nobody breaks anything. I mean how the hell do you remove the plastic cover?
hmmm.... Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle yeah, yeah? (BTW I'm sexy and I know it 8) )

They mention that system will record malfunction of this valve in it's logs. It won't display anything on dashboard but it will come up under service scan and that makes me thinking, is it worth? What will I gain and what can I loose?

eneasz link=topic=1228.msg11362#msg11362 date=1344238708 said:
Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1228.msg11358#msg11358 date=1344237210 said:
Doesn't show a good step by step on there,just some guy pointing lol needs a good guide so nobody breaks anything. I mean how the hell do you remove the plastic cover?
hmmm.... Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle yeah, yeah? (BTW I'm sexy and I know it 8) )

They mention that system will record malfunction of this valve in it's logs. It won't display anything on dashboard but it will come up under service scan and that makes me thinking, is it worth? What will I gain and what can I loose?
Lol,I tried the wiggle wiggle,nope it's still on there. It will only give you some more rumble,as for throwing fault,I'm not sure.

There is a spring clip you need to get out before pulling the plastic cover off. IIRC

Godzilla link=topic=1228.msg11371#msg11371 date=1344244165 said:
There is a spring clip you need to get out before pulling the plastic cover off. IIRC
Yeah I see that bit,but how does it unclip? Do you push on it? Ie with screwdriver? Anyways I'd like to know so I can clean behind it please ;D

If not everyone had so much to to read all their thread, someone suggested this:

"All I did was switch the bike on, let the valve open up, switch the bike back off from the key and not the ignition switch. At this point the Valve is still open when the bike is off. All you need to do is disconnect the servo power cable and she will ramin open at all times. The servo Kilo rating would be huge and would have no issues keeping that spring open. Also the benefit of this is that you can reverse the mod in 20 seconds without ******* around calibrating the servo wires and fine tuning to get the butterfly closed properly again when needed."

I may have a little look around when I get back home

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1228.msg11375#msg11375 date=1344244949 said:
Godzilla link=topic=1228.msg11371#msg11371 date=1344244165 said:
Yeah I see that bit,but how does it unclip? Do you push on it? Ie with screwdriver? Anyways I'd like to know so I can clean behind it please ;D

Ease it out with a small flat head screw driver. It clips to two notched poles that the cover sits on. Once you have it off, all will make sense.

I'm going to reattach mine come service time. The bike will still throw up a diagnostic fault code at the dealers but they will clear it when they find nothing wrong.

eneasz link=topic=1228.msg11384#msg11384 date=1344257273 said:
If not everyone had so much to to read all their thread, someone suggested this:

"All I did was switch the bike on, let the valve open up, switch the bike back off from the key and not the ignition switch. At this point the Valve is still open when the bike is off. All you need to do is disconnect the servo power cable and she will ramin open at all times. The servo Kilo rating would be huge and would have no issues keeping that spring open. Also the benefit of this is that you can reverse the mod in 20 seconds without ******* around calibrating the servo wires and fine tuning to get the butterfly closed properly again when needed."

I may have a little look around when I get back home
Well I cant get that little plug out! Do I need to push screwdriver down on the clip?

With a small narrow bladed flat head, ease it into the gap between the edge of the clip and the cover. Gentle prise it towards you and it will come out. Just think of the clip as a large flexible
Circlip and it will break free. Watch it if it pings across the garage! It definately helps to remove the slip-on can and cat cover (attached to the exhaust tightening ring) first.

Back