V stiff gear change

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS TRV

Reaction score
After not touching the bike since coming back from the TT I went out for a spin this afternoon.

Couldn't believe how stiff the gear change had become - v worrying !!

Quick shifter was virtually inoperable. Required a major amount of effort.

Any ideas guys? Is my gearbox on the way out??

Still 1 yr of warranty. Phew!

How many miles have you done? I find mine is stiff,but only when shifting at low speed,but it's been like that from day one really,if I boot it it's super smooth.

bananaman link=topic=1227.msg11270#msg11270 date=1344107726 said:
Find the bm nowhere near as good as the japs but have got used to being more firm on shifting....
I'll agree,but I much prefer mine now,I like the feel,it's almost like a switch when changing gear,and down shifts are great! But my mate who has blade didn't like the stiffness,the only thing I miss is the hydrolic clutch. Not keen on cables because I think they are going to snap!

They do loosen up with the miles but are prone to sticking 5th to 6th :eek:
Mines done over 18k the ups are sweet so long as the engine is reving above 5k under load and down shifting is still a crashing affair you just need to be smooth in letting the clutch out ;) ;)

I'm amazed by this. I am only a couple of hundred miles into ownership but I've found the gearbox one of the best I've experienced. Far better than most Jap boxes (maybe with the exception of Suzuki). From brand new it has been positive with no missed shifts and the downshift is only slightly clunky from time to time due to the slipper clutch re-engaging. Nothing to do with the box at all.

Are they really that bad??

Trumpetman21 link=topic=1227.msg11293#msg11293 date=1344160488 said:
I wouldn't say bad, just different. Getting used to it now but still think my SP-2 had a better box.
They all have there moments,I had an Sp1 before the Beemer,and that would often have stiff down shifts,more so when it was hot. The Beemer just feels more robotic,like a switch being pressed! And I for one love it! Done 3000 miles and only had one failed up shift.

I dont think theres anything wrong it either to be honest , or the throttle spring or the clicky clutch lever.....fuck it just go fast :eek:

fatbob link=topic=1227.msg11367#msg11367 date=1344243522 said:
I dont think theres anything wrong it either to be honest , or the throttle spring or the clicky clutch lever.....fuck it just go fast :eek:
I like your style 8)

fatbob link=topic=1227.msg11367#msg11367 date=1344243522 said:

Not just me with the clicky clutch lever then, didn't take long to wear through my cable though

The dealer told me to bring it in or even have it recovered back for an inspection. Too much dough to sort out parter warranty expires for sure.

He suspects it cd be the quick shifter.

Watch this space.

Back