dunlop 212 treaded n slick

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutl3y

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
bit of a dumbass question however I don't know hence the question

is there any difference in the compound between the slick and treaded 212?:friendly_wink:

Mut

Pro and Racer differ but treaded and slick do not.

Obviously they have compounds too. MS2 Front and MS4 rear seem to work in most circumstances

- Sent from Mobile

Dunlop

Also note that the D213 GP Pro has now been released and superceeds the D212 GP Pro.

Re: Dunlop

Also note that the D213 GP Pro has now been released and superceeds the D212 GP Pro.
From all accounts the 213 is a really good rear tyre but the fronts not so much.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dunlop

I've heard the same thing. I'm not terribly fussed as I've never really gotten along with Dunlop race tyres anyway!

so what do guys recommend as a good trackday tyre with a balance of wear/grip for am inters rider?
I like the gp211 on my 675 so was looking at sticking with Dunlop, but saying that I did use conti race attacks on last euro trip and quite liked them, but at my level probably not notice any difference on any trackday tyre?
Mut

Last edited:
Trackday Tyres

The most commonly used race/trackday tyres are listed below. There are other tyres available from different manufacturers but these are the ones that you will generally always see when walking around the paddock. Tyre choice is a personal one unless you are restricted to a control tyre in certain championships. Costs do vary between brands but it would be sensible to budget at least ?300+ per set for race tyres and around ?250 per set for trackday slicks so shop around for the best deal. Unfortunately, until you try a few you will not know which ones work for you and which ones do not as feel and perception of grip is highly subjective. What works for one person may not work for another. Likewise tyre wear will be dependant on circuit type, surface, riding style, suspension setup and a whole host of other variables. Just expect to go through race tyres at a far faster rate than normal particularly at a multi-day track event.

Race Tyres (SSTK)

Metzeler Racetec RR
Pirelli Supercorsa SC
Bridgestone R10
Dunlop D212 GP Pro

Race Tyres (Slicks)

Metzeler Racetec RR Slick
Pirelli Superbike Slick
Dunlop KR Slick
Bridgestone V02

Trackday (Slicks)

Metzeler Racetec RR CompK
Pirelli Superbike Pro
Michelin Power Slick Evo

Re: Dunlop

I've heard the same thing. I'm not terribly fussed as I've never really gotten along with Dunlop race tyres anyway!
They are all i use tbf. Im not quick enough to get to the limits of any of the top tyres but i know the 212s last really well at my modest pace and have never let me down

Trackday Tyres

They are all i use tbf. Im not quick enough to get to the limits of any of the top tyres but i know the 212s last really well at my modest pace and have never let me down

I've personally always preferred Metzeler and Bridgestone race tyres. As for Dunlops I've crashed using them more times than I care to remember.

Trackday Tyres

pirelli sp v2 road version more than enough

If it's for trackday only use then I would personally avoid using a road orientated tyre altogether; especially if you are doing a multi-day European event.

Re: Trackday Tyres

my logic RYS is hes only inters so possibly 20 seconds off the pace safer tyre than slicks you dont go fast enough to keep heat in, years ago virgin r6 cup lads road tyres doing 1,26 at croft so there good enough for all tbh unless your bsb pace, mike spyke edwards said once dont even think of changing tyres at cadwell until your under 1,36, so no need for ?350 dunlops or metzelers etc etc, loads of people get hung up on having the best and there miles off lap times spv2 more than capable plus dont have to worry when sitting in pit lane there cooling down,

I completely agree with this. I have been to trackdays with road tyres and comfortably gone round quicker than riders running slicks in fast group. Any semi slick/road legal tyre is more than enough for the majority of riders.

GP212 Racers rather than pro?s are missing from the track day list imo.

The point of correctly chosen* slicks/treaded slicks is they provide a level grip which exceeds road rubber and allows the learner to make mistakes and get away with them. Heat is easy to maintain with strong braking and acceleration.

*compounds should be chosen based on track temp and abrasion. ?Harder? tyres often the best in cold conditions as they retain heat better. But refer to the manufacturer guide.

- Sent from Mobile

GP212 Racers rather than pro?s are missing from the track day list imo.

The point of correctly chosen* slicks/treaded slicks is they provide a level grip which exceeds road rubber and allows the learner to make mistakes and get away with them. Heat is easy to maintain with strong braking and acceleration.

*compounds should be chosen based on track temp and abrasion. ?Harder? tyres often the best in cold conditions as they retain heat better. But refer to the manufacturer guide.

- Sent from Mobile
Like ive said before i am only inters pace and have no issues in keeping heat in the 212 pros. Like alex said they do give a piece of mind. My r1 track bike has no electronics so a bit of extra grip helps with my ham fistedness [emoji23]

Trackday Tyres

The list is not exhaustive but it is representative of the tyres that I normally see when instructing on UK trackdays. The points raised above are all perfectly valid and yes there are people riding around on the latest generation of race tyres who quite frankly would be just as fast (or slow!) on a set of road tyres. If you are doing a European event then you are definitely better off using a track focused tyre. They just offer a greater degree of grip, and providing you keep heat in them, the margin for error is much greater. Ultimately go with a tyre that you feel comfortable with, and above all else be honest with yourself regarding your level of ability when making the choice.

Plus the SP V2's can handle the heat cycles better. I don't even use warmers and I'm easily in the advanced group around knockhill.

Last edited by a moderator:

my logic RYS is hes only inters so possibly 20 seconds off the pace safer tyre than slicks you dont go fast enough to keep heat in, years ago virgin r6 cup lads road tyres doing 1,26 at croft so there good enough for all tbh unless your bsb pace, mike spyke edwards said once dont even think of changing tyres at cadwell until your under 1,36, so no need for ?350 dunlops or metzelers etc etc, loads of people get hung up on having the best and there miles off lap times spv2 more than capable plus dont have to worry when sitting in pit lane there cooling down,

i also agree with this, however for me its the whole trackday experience that i like. i'm no where near a racers pace and never will be, however sticking ya tyre warmers on and off is part of that experience, you've got ya leathers, helmet, bike why not have the tyres? i know its "all the gear and no idea" in terms of racing, however for me its just about going around the track as quick and safe as i can

so on that note i have gone for gp racer 212 slicks :D rightly or wrongly we shall see in March:D

thanks for your help
cheers
Mut

i also agree with this, however for me its the whole trackday experience that i like. i'm no where near a racers pace and never will be, however sticking ya tyre warmers on and off is part of that experience, you've got ya leathers, helmet, bike why not have the tyres? i know its "all the gear and no idea" in terms of racing, however for me its just about going around the track as quick and safe as i can

so on that note i have gone for gp racer 212 slicks :D rightly or wrongly we shall see in March:D

thanks for your help
cheers
Mut

If you cant keep the heat in the slicks its far from safe. I am not saying you, or anyone else cant, but it is a factor?

If you cant keep the heat in the slicks its far from safe. I am not saying you, or anyone else cant, but it is a factor?
I KNOW im not quick enough to keep heat in slicks in the uk hence i use the 212 gp pro cuts. Would i take slicks to spain , yes but over here i wouldnt risk it. (Bottom to mid inters)

so the reason i asked the original question was that i have used Gp211's on previous euro's and had no probs (treaded). when coming off track and checking tyres before warmers went on, the tyre itself you couldn't touch for too long as they were that hot, so my thinking was that the heat is there if you canny touch em fer too long.
so if theres no difference between slicks and treads then i should be ok shouldn't I?
cheers
Mut

Back