Warming tyres,how do you do it?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boardsofnorfolk

Reaction score
I still see riders doing the weaving Back and forth,but you're wasting time doing this! Acceleration and braking is the best way to get heat on those hoops!

MOz link=topic=1204.msg10986#msg10986 date=1343578013 said:
Really?????

I use a blow torch.....
Yep! I've always warmed my tyres by breaking and acceleration,it's a myth using the weaving technique,unless your in a car,then you would generate heat,but for us bikers the breaking and acceleration is the best method,try it and see!

Disclamer do not use blow torch pml ;D

If its a myth why do the motoGP and WSB guys still do this? Surely at low pressures the constant weaving causes tyre flex and movement which must generate extra heat. Just saying.

Dartanion link=topic=1204.msg10999#msg10999 date=1343583219 said:
If its a myth why do the motoGP and WSB guys still do this? Surely at low pressures the constant weaving causes tyre flex and movement which must generate extra heat. Just saying.
Well I doubt many racers do the weaving,I've not seen it,plus there tyres are up to temp before they go out,you will not generate enough heat like you would breaking and acceleration.

Good point about the fact that their tyres are already up to temp and so only need to keep temp up not raise it from cold.

bananaman link=topic=1204.msg11005#msg11005 date=1343587273 said:
Think you'll find that weaving scrubs the tyre in more, probably for the 1st bend off the start.

Yep. Gets a tad more releasing agent off although 1 corner each side is usually enough... unless running the hoops they use in Moto GP.

bananaman link=topic=1204.msg11005#msg11005 date=1343587273 said:
Think you'll find that weaving scrubs the tyre in more, probably for the 1st bend off the start.
Yes I understand that,but I know riders who do this to try and warm tyres.

only repeating whats been said but i warm them up a tad by accelerating, and it's only a tad, and weave to help with getting any shite off.

Braking and accelerating for warming tyres.
Weaving for a nice rug.

rhanmore link=topic=1204.msg11042#msg11042 date=1343658513 said:
I only warm the rear as the front isnt on the floor much :)
Lol,you may aswell take the front wheel out Rich! You spend more time on the rear lol ;D

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1204.msg11044#msg11044 date=1343667234 said:
rhanmore link=topic=1204.msg11042#msg11042 date=1343658513 said:
I only warm the rear as the front isnt on the floor much :)
Lol,you may aswell take the front wheel out Rich! You spend more time on the rear lol ;D

Front tyre is only on a bike for when it's parked or for roundabouts :)

Most tyres offer a good amount of grip once passed the crusty cold stage. Road tyres are designed to work at much lower temperatures, hence why they are road tyres. I worry more about the cycling of hot, cold, hot, cold and the blue colour once left in the garage after a nice ride out. But tyre warmers are the next step for track days as they save a lap lost warming tyres and stop the cycling to :)

Back