tyre pressures....AGAIN

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie

Reaction score
Hi all, here's the thing, always run tyres on F34 R36 on the ROAD. so going to get another 3 or 4 hundred out of these tyres and then get them changed before september when hopefully knee will allow me to do a few track days. Decided on a K3 on the rear and a K2 on the front. I've been advised that my prefered Road pressures may need reducing, although fine with the 30-29 i run on track..any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Running metzelers at the moment? Watch out for those sharp objects when the tyres get a bit low, shocking how thin the tyre is when low

I'm running on BSB's and have road pressures of 30 front, 34 rear. It was not done on purpose but seems fine to be honest. Even rode to Brands Hatch on those pressures 2 up and again was good ???

jamie link=topic=1177.msg10789#msg10789 date=1343163824 said:
Decided on a K3 on the rear and a K2 on the front. I've been advised that my prefered Road pressures may need reducing
Who advised you of that Jamie?

If you email Metzeler they will give you the correct tyre pressures for both road and track... but each to their own mate.

I ran 34F 39R on K3's stuck like glue in any conditions 8c to 24c... Best tyre's ive ever used ;)

phil link=topic=1177.msg10802#msg10802 date=1343204468 said:
jamie link=topic=1177.msg10789#msg10789 date=1343163824 said:
Decided on a K3 on the rear and a K2 on the front. I've been advised that my prefered Road pressures may need reducing
Who advised you of that Jamie?

If you email Metzeler they will give you the correct tyre pressures for both road and track... but each to their own mate.

I ran 34F 39R on K3's stuck like glue in any conditions 8c to 24c... Best tyre's ive ever used ;)

For the road Metzeler will advise you to run with the pressures that are in the users manual. With their reason being that the S1000RR was developed on K3's and thats the pressures that BMW and Metzeler recommend. (That's the response I got.)

Jamie, are those pressures you quoted for the track cold or hot temps? If cold I suggest they are a little high. particularly the rear. Tyre pressure will partly depend on the pace you are running, and on the weather/temp on the day. Try 29F and 26R as cold temps.

K3's I run 32/32psi on the road, might up it a couple more though, cos feels a little sluggish when steering.

Ducky link=topic=1177.msg10815#msg10815 date=1343228201 said:
K3's I run 32/32psi on the road, might up it a couple more though, cos feels a little sluggish when steering.
I run same 32/32, on K1F & K2R, little slow to steer at first but with a bit of warmth in them they soon perk up. Don't do what id did tho and take the mrs out for a spin on these pressures!!! And no shes not a bloater ;)

Godzilla, they are warm pressures for track mate, having rode to the track.
Phil, it was just a bloke i got talking too at a bike meet, normally would just have chatted politely but ignored, but thought i would run by you guys.
Going to stick with 34,36 when cold for the road. I have been using these temps for a long time having played about over time. a lonnnnng time being an old fart ;D
Having never had K3's before i'll play about a bit if i feel the need.

TOP advise as always. cheers

jamie link=topic=1177.msg10842#msg10842 date=1343298927 said:
Godzilla, they are warm pressures for track mate, having rode to the track.

Jamie, just remember riding to the track will not make your tyres as 'warm' as they get on track. If you set the pressures as soon as you get there they will be neither cold or hot (track temps) but in between. In this case I would let them cool down and set the pressures cold, then maybe check then after the first session. Remember keeping checking the pressures at the end of each session is going to let soem air escape and therefore affect the pressure.

jamie link=topic=1177.msg10842#msg10842 date=1343298927 said:
Phil, it was just a bloke i got talking too at a bike meet
;D Bloke down the pub says.. lol politely ignored ;D ;D ;D

Dont think you need too much advice mate, suppose its good to hear what others do... You should love the K3's, let us know what you think

green_machine link=topic=1177.msg10793#msg10793 date=1343167553 said:
Running metzelers at the moment? Watch out for those sharp objects when the tyres get a bit low, shocking how thin the tyre is when low

Just over 1000 miles on me bike and got me first puncture ever. The tyre wasnt even low or squared off and still managed to get a puncture, something had managed to go in to the grove of the tread and put a nice hole in it. Had fun getting the thing home that day espcially when i was at a wedding a few hours later lol

Just got a new K3 rear today, put the wheel back in tonight & did a couple of steady miles to make sure the wheel didn't fall out or anything. Anyhow, she felt a bit strange, got home & checked the pressure, lol 46 psi!!!!! Felt a tad better with 14 less in there ;)

Back