General maintenance after trackday

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tituslivius

Reaction score
More and more we are doing track days making me wonder how long I want to keep the motorbike in street configuration. I was wondering what kind of (extra) maintenance do you guys do after track days.

So for example: x track days bleeding the brakes

etc.

Can somebody help me with a schedule?

Trackday Maintenance

For a track only bike you ideally want to be changing the oil every 3-4 trackdays and brake fluid several times a season. There is no set maintenance schedule but just expect to go through consumables like tyres and brake pads far more frequently.

Re: Trackday Maintenance

What oil do you use?

And how do you change your brake fluid? What tools do you use for changing the brake fluid?

Do you buy your tires online or do you buy/change tires on the track? I'm a little bit worried to have tires that are too old when I buy them from internet

We are going to barcelona in October for the 4th trackday of this year. So I wanna be prepared.

Trackday Maintenance

Oil
Motul 300V Factory Line (Approx ?48.00 per 4 Litres).

Brake Fluid
Castrol SRF Racing (Approx ?50.00 per 1 Litre).

Tyres
I generally buy all my race tyres online at Oponeo and they are always under 6 months old. I go through nearly 15+ sets per season depending on how many trackdays I am doing and how often I am instructing. On the rare occasion that I buy tyres track side, its from the tyre supplier of the company who I instruct with but at a reduced rate. As for tyre changes I just get whoever is in the paddock at the time to do them for me.

Brake Fluid Changes

With regards to brake fluid changes there are plenty of videos online which will show you how to do it.

This is my schedule, some might find it helpful. A bit anal but I write everything down in little lists like this so I don't forget. Post it notes and whiteboards with scribbles everywhere!

Track Bike Maintenance

Clean, lube and adjust the chain daily
Check all fairing bolts daily
Check clutch free play daily
Check brake pads daily
Inspect oil and coolant levels daily
Clean brake calipers every 2 days (or every wheel change)
Check brake pins every 2 days
Change the engine oil & filter every 4 days
Check/grease fork oil seals every 4 track days
Clean and oil the air filter every 8 days
Change brake fluid every 8 days
Full engine service annually
Flush/change coolant annually
Service forks annually
Service shock annually
Clean, lube and adjust the head bearings annually
Clean, lube and torque the shock linkage and bolts annually
Clean and lube the swing arm pivot bearings annually
Clean and lube the wheel bearings annually
Remove, clean, grease and torque all engine/frame bolts annually
Remove, clean and loctite all rear set bolts annually
Remove, clean and lube all heim joints (shift linkage etc) annually

Last edited:
Re: Trackday Maintenance

Normally the dealship advice you to be very carefull with new tyres the first 100km. How do you do this on the track?

BTW thanks for the responses.This very helpfull.

Tyres

It only takes half a lap to scrub in a new race tyre off warmers.

Personally, I put warmers on for 45 mins to an hour then warm up on my first lap with real hard acceleration and braking when upright to get the heat in everything (tyres, wheels, discs, pads & suspension) and then you're good to go.

Last edited:
+1 on that - heat comes from friction.
Release Agents aren't like they used to be, especially on track orientated tyres.

Release Agents

Most, if not all, manufacturers stopped using release agents years ago. This is especially so when it comes to race tyres.

Great info, I'm using slicks for the first time next week and wondered if it was ok to gun it after a lap.

Slicks

The key to using slicks is to maintain constant heat in the tyre when on track. If you drop your pace you can expect tyre performance, in terms of both grip and feel, to diminish pretty quickly.

Re: Slicks

I'm not on the slicks yet. I was actually considering this but it'll be oktober and probably not that warm at the track. Even in Barcelona. So for this year I'll keep on using my supercorsa sp's which are still streetlegal. So tyre warmers for 45min to 1 hour then half a lap and I'm pretty safe?

Tyres

Those markings are largely irrelevant anyway when it comes to buying race tyres and slicks. The only thing you really need to be concerned about is tyre size and compound type.

Back