First track day advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRoss

Reaction score
Hi guys,got my first trackday next Friday at Knockhill. Other than dropping tyre pressures is there anything else I should be doing (or not doing)? Is it worth adjusting steering damper etc? Will be using s20evos just to kill them off,and read somewhere 32f 30r would be suitable pressures,but is that hot/cold?
Any advice much appreciated

Ross

Last edited:
I go 30/30 cold but a couple of psi above that is fine, tape your mirrors up, give it a lap or two particularly on the first couple of sessions to get your tyres warmed up and enjoy yourself - easy as that :)

tape your mirrors up

I was just gonna fold them back,or could remove them before I go,if it's not illegal to ride on roads without them[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take some black tape with you and do it at the track, no need to take them off, you need to do it a) in case you come off and put glass on the track b) because you don't look back on track - it may be different at Knockhill but its a requirement to tape them up on a Focussed track day

I ride on the road with no mirrors and it's 100% legal but some would say 100% stupid too haha.

It's legal to ride without mirrors.

Further to what MacRR has suggested,
I'd recommend familiarising yourself with the circuit layout before turning up on the day.
Also, try and ease into it slowly as there's no need or rush to get up to speed straight away.
Make sure you stay hydrated and eat little portions of easy digestible food several times during the day rather than a heavy lunch (will make you tired).
Once you've settled in to things, perhaps consider some tuition with an instructor?
Pay attention to how you feel and when you start to feel fatigued call it a day (is much better to have a great half day, then risk a crash due to fatigue).

Lastly, enjoy!
Will keep my fingers crossed you have good weather and a fantastic time [emoji4]

Oli

Last edited:
Don't do what I did,
I learnt the track on YouTube before going, then turned up to find out it was reverse circuit lol
Have a great time and just relax. Your heart will be beating like mad as you wait to get on but you will quickly forget about it as you soak it up.
Enjoy!

Regarding the bike setup I'd recommend familiarising yourself with the settings menus on the bike so you can make adjustments to the suspension during the day in the various modes. I'd recommend taking the mirrors off during tracktime, I am lazy and don't bother. It helps with body position not having the folded mirrors in play. The pressures sound about right to me but it'll depend a little on the day. These bikes are as happy on track as they are on road so that's about it lol.

Cheers guys. Been to Knockhill a lot over the years spectating but I think it will look totally different actually being on the track. Am gonna remove the mirrors so they don't annoy me plus track photographer will be there so it'll look better too lol.
Will take it easy(ish) and hopefully the renowned Scottish weather goes easy on me too lol

It's just a fast road with no traffic coming at you.

On the sighting laps do your best to mimic the lines the instructors take, it will help later.

Go out with an instructor early to really get that dialled in.

It's a private hire,do you think there will still be instructors on track? Good if there is as I'd like to pick up some good riding advice.

remember to keep it in low gear and let it rev - you don't want to be up and down the box. not been to knockhill but on Brands Indy you can leave it 3rd most of the time maybe 2nd for druids and 4th if your flatters over start finish. much less to think about, you can just wind it on and off and follow line. pressures seem fine, I do 30/30 on Rosso Corsas (ok to drive there too) keep smiling and do at least 3 laps to get some heat in the tyres (guy in front maybe on warmers so don't take pace forgranted)

Have fun , thats the important bit. Agree with everything everyone has said. Only other thing i do is put a piece of tape over my speed. Only think i look at is the rev counter

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Don't let yourself develop strange superstitions, but always wear red socks and put your left glove on first, and try not to keep up with Michael Rutter.......

I also remove circuit breaker for the lights. You don't need them on the track. Unless it is a night session ;)

rear/brake lights can be very off putting to riders behind you.

There's nothing wrong with a brake light at Novice/Inter pace. There's a lot of varying lines/braking points so to know what the bike in front is doing can help you to just what you're doing better.

Last edited:
It's a private hire,do you think there will still be instructors on track? Good if there is as I'd like to pick up some good riding advice.

Ross who is the track day with?Is it direct with Knockhill? Is it reverse or clockwise??

Just watch reverse if it is, Clarkes is completely off camber and very very easy to get wrong.

Back