new to detailing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybob

Reaction score
right chaps new to this detailing lark i have just bought some dodo juice lube clay bar some poor boys wheel sealant and white diamond glaze the wheel sealant and glaze are pretty straight forward just want some advice on how to use the clay bar and lube
cheers
bob

billybob link=topic=1148.msg10509#msg10509 date=1342632960 said:
right chaps new to this detailing lark i have just bought some dodo juice lube clay bar some poor boys wheel sealant and white diamond glaze the wheel sealant and glaze are pretty straight forward just want some advice on how to use the clay bar and lube
cheers
bob
You've made a wise choice!
Ok how you use the clay bar,just makesure the surface is clean before you start. Then roll a small amount of the clay in you hand,making a ball shape,then flatten it out. Spray a small amount on the clay lube on the surface you are cleaning and some on the clay,makesure it's wet all the time and keep turning and folding the clay,if the bike is clean to start with,the clay won't pick much up,doesnt matter what motion you use while doing this. Once the surface is completly done,you can wipe down with damp cloth or water. Then you can apply the poorboys diamond glaze,Using a circular motion until it starts to shine. Once it's dried to a haze buff and finish off with caribou wax,I use the poorboys wax or autoglym. Makesure you use clean micro cloths.

Oh and once you've used the clay,don't use it again! Throw it away,or if you drop it!

cheers will give it a go saturday one last question do i do i water down the lube it says to water it down on the bottle but it doesn't say to what consistency
cheers
bob

billybob link=topic=1148.msg10529#msg10529 date=1342719703 said:
cheers will give it a go saturday one last question do i do i water down the lube it says to water it down on the bottle but it doesn't say to what consistency
cheers
bob
Don't worry about watering it down,it's fine,just give the lube a good shack! I've had no problems using it as is. Just remember,throw away your old clay. Once you put final coat of wax on and polish,you won't believe how smooth it is! Nothing will stick!

cheers fella i have gone for a sealant instead of a wax because i have venture shield and wax tends to build up round the edges of the venture shield

billybob link=topic=1148.msg10546#msg10546 date=1342727108 said:
cheers fella i have gone for a sealant instead of a wax because i have venture shield and wax tends to build up round the edges of the venture shield
Hmm,is the whole bike venture shielded? Just saying,because I wouldn't bother using the clay bar and lube,you won't get the same results if the lacquer is covered up.

billybob link=topic=1148.msg10548#msg10548 date=1342727841 said:
yes it is fella advice please
You're wasting time using clay bar on the shield mate,it will lift crap,but you won't get a finish like you would on paint. Also it may discolour the shield.

billybob link=topic=1148.msg10554#msg10554 date=1342735242 said:
cheers i am still ok to use the glaze and sealant though ?
Yes that's fine,the sealant is on your wheels anyway? The glaze will be fine on the venture shield,but don't use any cutting polishes on it. As for the wax I wouldn't bother putting that on after the glaze,like I said just use the poorboys sealant for the wheels.

Also keep any polish away from any joins you have,it will look like crap if they start to fill in.

billybob link=topic=1148.msg10581#msg10581 date=1342801232 said:
cheers will do i have bought some different sealant to go on after the glaze
Let me know how you get on! Post some pics when you've got her minty fresh he he! Like Ive said in previous posts,I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning!

Now to be fair I have had a few glasses of vino tinto but when I read the first post to this thread it sounded like you were kitting yourself out for a night of dogging for a minute

Back on topic soz ::)

fatbob link=topic=1148.msg10606#msg10606 date=1342811007 said:
Now to be fair I have had a few glasses of vino tinto but when I read the first post to this thread it sounded like you were kitting yourself out for a night of dogging for a minute

Back on topic soz ::)
Oh SHOOT! Billy we've been busted! Looks like Fatbob has cracked the code! Lol

yes it does sound very strange bob but what i will say that this poor boys detailing gear is the dogs i thought meguiars was good but this poor boys stuff knocks spots of it all my paintwork looks like glass even the venture shield well pleased
right i am of to make it all mucky again !!

Seems like a lot of bother to me! :p
Personally i prefer to ride mine then chuck a bucket of soapy over it then ride it some more!
Never have understood OCD cleaning never will, why anyone would want to spend more time cleaning it than riding it is beyond me???? :D
Anyhow just chucked one over it to make it ready for Austria 10 days of riding heaven! ;D ;D

it keeps me out of the pub plus resale value i am out most weekends plus a couple of track days a year
i just like things to be right it won't get done again till the end of the week i hardly call that ocd

babarr46 link=topic=1148.msg10657#msg10657 date=1342982626 said:
Seems like a lot of bother to me! :p
Personally i prefer to ride mine then chuck a bucket of soapy over it then ride it some more!
Never have understood OCD cleaning never will, why anyone would want to spend more time cleaning it than riding it is beyond me???? :D
Anyhow just chucked one over it to make it ready for Austria 10 days of riding heaven! ;D ;D
Hmmmmmm I love my OCD and I love cleaning the bike,plus I ride it every time the sun is out! Look at it this way,you look after the bike and it will repay you back.

Back