Knockhill 22nd July

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCullenRR

Reaction score
So as the title says last Saturday I done a track-day at knockhill & thought i would give my thoughts.

Booked the track-day in advance which you really need to do at knockhill as everyone sells out weeks before the track-day itself, and in doing so you are taking a risk especially as knockhill seems to literally attract the rain. Last Saturday was no different, the forecast was for torrential rain all day and for once the forecast was spot on.

I only have only recently bought the S1000RR (Back in March) and have already covered around 2300 miles. I absolutely love the thing, it just gives you so much more confidence than anything I have ever ridden before. The last track-day I done was a few years ago on board my Ducati 848, It was an open pit lane session which was filled with SACU Licence holders and some hardcore track day guys. I stupidly was trying to keep up with them and only managed around 6 laps before I binned it at Clarkes corner. Day over, bike ruined. It completely put me off riding on track, however the feel that I have with the BMW made me change my mind and grow a pair of balls and book another track-day.

I was apprehensive the week running upto the track-day as you can imagine and waking up on the Saturday morning to the sound of the rain against the window didn't exactly instill the confidence in me. I rode up anyways and done my briefing, I booked myself into the Novice class in advance as I wasn't exactly the most confident due to my last track day. So anyways I set out on my first session in the pissing wet rain, running Bridgestone S20 Evo tyres, and trying to ease myself in. Come the fourth or fifth lap I had got myself into a bit of a rhythm and was really enjoying myself despite the rain. I had the bike in rain mode which I was happy with, it was soaking wet and despite a few slides the bike controlled itself really well and was easy to ride. I was able to break later and later as each lap went on with the brakes just being so strong and the ABS in rain mode really helping out when you are a bit hefty with the right fingers. I was probably one of the quickest if not the quickest in the session, which wouldn't be hard on board a 200bhp monster when you consider that novice session had a good few sports tourers and fazers etc, but there was also a group of about 5 or 6 GSXR 750's & 1000's who I was comfortably quicker than.

The weather didn't ease up at all, but I still managed to go out and enjoy every session available to my class, a few guys didn't take full advantage of the sessions due to the weather but the bike just instilled me with confidence and I seemed to be getting faster and faster each session. The tyres performed really well for me, no doubt anyone (Most people on here) who are far better riders than me would disagree with that statement but I cant push enough to be able to give a better report!

All in All it was a great day, it has gave me the confidence to be able to ride and push that bit faster on the bike, and has deff given me the "Track-day Bug", after my disaster a few years ago I now know i have to gradually build up to being a faster rider and not just follow some Fast guys and think Im Marc Marquez. Was also told next time i Book a track-day to book the intermediate class which was another boost. I genuinely can not believe how easy to ride fast the BMW is, even in the wet. It is so manageable and the thing has got so much more to give than what I could ever imagine!

Cheers for reading guys!

Nice one. It's all about gaining confidence and having fun. I'm booked for 23rd August 6pm til 8pm. Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is that Booked Via Knockhill direct?

I know Knockhill have a reverse track-night on 4th August, but reverse is mainly off camber so maybe give it a little bit of time before I dive into that one!!

Ducati Glasgow are running an open track-night on Friday 18th August too which is clockwise I might book myself into that one.

Yeah just through knockhill direct. I joined the trackday club so get 10% off too. Reverse is actually really good. Check out my vids on YouTube. User name megabusa55

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers Simon, Ill check that out! I work down south Mon-Fri so I can only really get on track Friday nights or Weekends!!!!

Glad you had a great time Greg, confidence on the track can make you an overall better rider on the road also. I don't mean riding fast and getting your knee down but it allows you to understand the capabilities of your bike are way more than you ever use on the road.

I was as asked to go to one tonight by Clarks in Dundee but not really my thing, hope it's better weather for your next outing.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Great read and I'm glad you enjoyed the bike on a wet track. I'm keen to try in the wet bit the supercorsas are lethal with a hint of rain.
Ill try and master the dry first :concern:

Great write up! Interesting to hear about doing it in the wet.

What tyres do you have on the bike? I'm thinking of booking a Nial mackenzie day at the end of september. And bike needs a new rear tyre, was just going to put another k3 on it, but if I'm going to knockhill that late in the year, I might be better with a pair of M7rr's

Absolutely great write up, thankyou for posting. You sound like a braver man than me in the wet.

Back