The tyre wear thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The dark art of reading tyres. I thought we could have a thread on tyre wear. This is mainly aimed at on track wear but those of you on glorious open roads will be able to contribute too.

My idea here is to post up tyre pics and then discuss the wear. See if we can get consensus opinions. See if we can all learn from each other. Or if you have great examples you can explain that would be awesome.

Useful info to post, pressure, track temp, compound/tyre, tyre warmers (yes/no), suspension setup.

So, I'll start.

Cadwell after 3 sessions
Michelin PowerRS
F: 30 R: 29 psi cold.
No warmers
(Need to check the DDC settings)

Front:
c5800f211e94ecaa6dba187a092357a8.jpg

523181d3da375ef127bee2198cfbe0f9.jpg

Rear:
269343ba30e8f782d9365fe5995d39b9.jpg

02ff55f67fdd319e7e1eddbab6e6f60e.jpg

Imo the front is under inflated and the rear is cold tearing, either from too little rebound or too much pressure.

Thoughts?

- Sent from Mobile

Tyre Wear

You not even close to having to worry about a cold tear looking at that rear tyre.

It's a common thought of many riders ..... The actual wear area is just in to the shoulder compound (you can see the line) the snot is thrown off this area over the relatively unworn section down to the edge of the tyre. As the lean angle of drive increases so does the throw of the snot and will leave 'marbles' on the very edge. When you get down and driving off the edge of the tyre the 'marbles' have nothing to hang on to and disappear.
It's common on road tyres for the surface to heat up quick (as they should) and start protesting at track speeds. I would say that yr rear is more melting than tearing

Interesting, i'm thinking of running 32/30 (f/r) at Snetterton again, no warmers.
The front is to the edge from Cadwell but the rear was miles off. So I think the front was collapsing at lean and that shows in the horizontal braking lines. They are a touch too wide.

Will see how that goes.

- Sent from Mobile

Tyre Wear

It's far more likely to be just the profile of the tyre more than anything else. As for the tyre collapsing that only becomes and issue if the track temperatures are particularly high and you are pushing extremely hard and generating even more heat in the tyre. It's normally only a problem when using too soft a front compound as the tyre structure looses its rigidity under those conditions and pace and can lead to unwanted movement at high lean angles. On a road tyre this is highly unlikely to ever be a problem.

Have another check on the front tyre.... is it to the edge or is the snot covering up virgin tyre? Ive never been to the edge even on 62deg lean angle lol

Some of the clubs fast boys run up to 36fr in SC1's

Tyre Wear

I think the highest lean angle I've seen is 61? using a Metzeler Racetec RR K1 front and like you there was still fresh rubber left on the edge of the tyre.

Front
e46561f473cdcca78094ed37ad23a235.jpg

Rear
47e902175bca91f29e783834850a7508.jpg

Considering they both hit 50degrees only I was surprised at how much of the front, compared to the back I had used. The rear could do 60degrees imo but I'm not sure the front could.

- Sent from Mobile

both tyres can do 60deg,and more.front tyre wear can be deceptive as the wear depends a lot on your riding characteristics (trail braking,pushing the front into turns,or just coasting etc).theres seams to be a lot of edge left on your rear,which isn't all down to lean angle,a lot of it is how hard you get on the gas out of the corners,compressing the rear suspension,and then squashing the tyre.

Tyre Wear

The front and rear tyres are designed to work together and that's the reason why you should never mismatch tyre brand or type. Both tyres will be able to achieve the same lean angle and it will most likely only ever be rider error which stops that from happening!

Ok but pressure does affect how much it flexes and deforms. So I think the front in those conditions needed a couple more psi. That's all I'm saying.

Pressures

Make sure you monitor the pressures before and after each session; especially if track temperature is rising throughout the day.

Tyre Wear

That looks like a classic case of Snetterton's surface starting to destroy a rear tyre.

Looks like what happened to my tyres, to much psi and to soft suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corum is a long right you can't not have the throttle on.

- Sent from Mobile

Back