Noisy Timing Chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_machine

Reaction score
12k miles on the clock and the timing chain has become very noisy. I know they are a noisy engine to start with but this is intermittent/temp related. Ok when its cold, ok when its hot, but if you turn it off and start again when its hot its very rattly and stays quite rattly, any ideas

Mine does it to, at 18k now they say its normal and nothing to worry about. Sounds like a bag of spanners especially on start up. Some people say the cam chain tensioner needs some adjustment but the BMW techs say to leave it & not to stress the spring & leave it to the oil pressure!

59 plate, its to noisy to leave, gets embarrassing. I know they do manual tensioner, is there a semi manual/spring loaded tensioner out there? Ill be replacing the tensioner later this week I think. Anyone heard of the chain guides wearing? Just trying to cover all bases

There is a spring? On the exploded diagrams i have it doesn't show any springs, just oil pressure

Yeh thats the manual one, although apparently there is no torque guide so too tight you wear the cams, too lose you grenade the engine. Wish there was one that was spring tensioned

Seems the tensioner is sprung with oil going through it, replaced it with a new unit, seems to have helped quieten down the noisy chain so easy to do as well.

green_machine link=topic=1075.msg10556#msg10556 date=1342738423 said:
Seems the tensioner is sprung with oil going through it, replaced it with a new unit, seems to have helped quieten down the noisy chain so easy to do as well.
Glad you have got it sorted, how long did it take you to do?

Phil

ps if mine starts to rattle could you help? ;D

Its as easy as topping the coolant up, just whip the right side upper fairing section off and its a 24mm nut right on the corner of the block. 10 mins job, good for piece of mind as well, the old tensioner did feel a little notchy

Mines started making a racket on start up if its been standing a while. The solution is don't let it stand.

Had the 18k service , exhaust shims had a slight adjustment the timing was slightly out as well, dunno how. It's still making the bag of spanners noise on start up, the BMW techies assure me this is normal and absolutely nothing to worry about! :)

On first start up it was going away quickly, after it had got hot then on second start up the noise wasn't going away. Looks like they have changed the chain tensioner slightly as well, seems to have helped.

Back