ECU mods

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmd

Reaction score
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend anybody in the UK who can rewrite the standard ecu? Not so much bothered about the fuel/ignition maps, really want to switch off some of the stuff we don't need on a race engine (eg low gear power reduction, lean angle power freeze, abs and dtc removal).

Cheers.

Been hunting for one myself. Only looked locally to me so far but with no luck.

Also wmd, ABS and DTC can be turned off without needing to access ECU.

Hilltop Motorcycles earl shilton, they did the suspersonic BMW race bikes a couple of seasons ago and thats what changed their results, he remapped my bike turned the tc down and anti wheelie he can alter all the settings.
Very good price too.

......Also wmd, ABS and DTC can be turned off without needing to access ECU......

Not quite in our case, running the engine in a F1 sidecar

When Rog concieved the project and fitted the engine he used an abs/dtc loom and ecu with the intention of eventually getting the dtc working for wet races. We have scrubbed that idea now and with hindsight should of gone with a non abs/dtc donor but hey-ho that's in the past.

Even with the dtc off there are still aspects of it interferring with the power delivery (lean angle power freeze being the main one) but the question was less aimed at switching the functions off and more at removing the unused abs assy and all the dtc stuff and knowing it has zero influence on the power delivery.

Cheers for the input ;)

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend anybody in the UK who can rewrite the standard ecu? Not so much bothered about the fuel/ignition maps, really want to switch off some of the stuff we don't need on a race engine (eg low gear power reduction, lean angle power freeze, abs and dtc removal).

Cheers.
Hi, try Dave woods in Aylesbury was talking to him Saturday an he said he's just got the software to rewrite the ecu, here's his no : 01296 336750 hope this helps.
jeff

Geoff at Hilltop motorcycles. check the article in Fast Bikes August edition page 64 entitled Steve Snowballs BME S1000RR.

Be honest I would go with someone with experience with the BM software not some one who just got it (no disrespect to Dave)

Cheers guys, Rog has spoken to Geoff and if I got the right end of the stick he knows his way around remapping one well but can't/won't do the more in depth stuff that we are looking for.

Thanks for the number Jeff, any lead is worth a call.

Anyone read this thread and have any opinions?
http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/e...uning-s1000rr-hp4-flash-tuning-handhelds.html

About this company:
http://www.brentuning.com/

pic2_zps8793c020.jpg

S1000RR tuning FAQ:

• Remap part/idle/tip in/full throttle lambda fueling targets
  • Remap part and full throttle timing for premium fuel (91+93+100)
    Removing 1-2-3rd gear ignition retard
  • Remap Torque Targeting tables to supply a full 100% open throttle operation at high loads
  • Remap of all ignition retarded throttle tables rain through slick for smoother operation and drive-ability
  • Enhanced Traction control / Ignition retard in all modes.
  • Cat temp threshold fuel override for bikes with full exhaust (avoids failsafe fuel override)
  • Adjusted the rev limiter / idle speed 500 rpm
  • 10HP/10TQ gains on 100% stock 2010+ S1000RR
  • Mapping for all exhaust brand completed (Slip-ons, and Full systems)
  • 2013 ABS/DTC upgrade for the Pre 2012 bikes
  • Additional Custom Tuning parameters / remote Dyno Tuning available for extra fee***

FAQ about S1000RR Tuning:

• Uses factory 02 sensors, no longer need to force bike into open loop for tuning.
  • Load based ecu has alot of fine tuning adjustment versus piggyback tuner.
  • Corrects the checksum/Immobilizer that causes most "mail-in" S1000RR tuners to brick ECU's
  • Handheld contains everything you need - tunes are sent via E-mail after you read us out your stock file. No need to send in the ECU.
  • Does not require Power Commander or Bazazz units - they can be removed.
  • Mail-In ECU service is available at a $595 within the 50 states. No mail in for out of the US, we require you buy the handheld tuner.
  • HP4 uses the same ECU but has different external modules, using 100% HP4 logic on a 2010+ S1000RR is not feasible.
  • Modifying 100% of the TC/ABS mapping is not feasible in the OEM ECU.
  • The 2012-2013 use a less aggressive factory tune then the 2010-2011s.
  • The HP4 ecu from a performance standpoint is 99.9% the same as a stock 2010 S1000RR, slight changes in part throttle fueling only.
  • We can control and open the throttle earlier then the factory setting.
  • Block off plates have been found create an extreme lean spike in the early rpms, and need to be accounted for in tuning.
  • RACE Ecu/HP4 Launch control will be a development process to see if it is feasible for the stock ECU.

About the End user Handheld:

• [*]Vin Licensed (1 handheld per bike), can be unlocked when re-sold for $250USD.
    [*]Does not allow custom tuning by the end user.
    [*]Holds 4 Maps including the stock map read off the bike.
    [*]Allows end user to switch between mapping including stock tune.
    [*]Flashes through custom cable in the tail of the bike.
    [*]Comes with PDF for loading / changing files.
  • One off cable is expensive and controls over 50% of the cost of the unit.

FAQ's (we will revise as need be)

1. So are the map slots customizable "before the fact"? For instance could I choose to have: S1. Reserved for existing stock map, S2. Enhanced stock/slip on tune (i assume this tuned for 89 octane?), S3. Full Akra 91 octane tune, and slot 4. Full Akra 100 octane tune?

Correct, this is how we set up the handhelds based on your fuel / modifications / driving style

2. Just for clarification, when you say you "wont be using the 2013 fuel/timing maps" do you mean the map layouts as well as the timing/fuel parameters? I have an offer on a 2012 to use as a track bike. If I buy another handheld, would its new tune (number of curves) match the 2010's exactly?

We wouldn't be using the poor stock maps of course, we replace them with our performance maps regardless of the year of the bike. The 2013s have less ignition timing then previous years which gives essentially less power (on the stock tune)

3. In other words, I understand you won't be using the 2013 performance maps, but throttle curves were reduced from 4 to 2 and power/torque curves went from 2 to 3. So will my new 12 have an enhanced version of that layout, or will it now match the original number of curves from my 2010 when I get the second handheld for it? The number of curves makes a big difference in how the bike is ridden and in what mode it's in on the track is why I ask.

We prefer the best of the 3 different engine performance curves and 4 throttle curves of the 2010 and apply that to all years. It gives more versatility to your preferred driving style

Dyno Tuning:

All stock dyno before vs. after (10whp)
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
graph_zps9cebb059.jpg

Full Exhaust dyno before vs. after (20whp)
wol_error.gif
boltondyno_zps7ca8cdad.jpg

Flash Tool Demo:

wol_error.gif
pic1_zps4a0b8f26.jpg

I've just read the bit you've copied here, so if there's more in the US thread, sorry.

First think I think you'd need to clarify is if the stock maps are set worldwide, or for local territories - as it mentions a couple of times, the RON of US fuel is usually a lot lower than our standard 95.

They are basically using this one-off reader/writer they send you to read how the bike is running, then emailing a 'one size fits all' map (within certain parameters) You'll note they offer custom remote rolling road tuning (I have no idea how that would even work) as an extra. So, it's only a bit more sophisticated than buying a PCV and downloading a rough map for it.

Given every engine is different, I'd not put my faith in a stock map with all the variables here. Fair enough, looks cheap to do (even if you factor in the duty which will go on when it goes through customs)

Fitting a PCV and downloading a rough does nothing for the ABS/DTC. That system seems to do that. A bit like the Hilltop tune.

From what I can get from the thread on the other forum they will do maps for different octanes. The unit can hold 4 maps, so if you used race fuel for eg you can easily swap the map.

That's why I said "only a bit more sophisticated than a PCV" :)

Hilltop tune is a proper custom map, this will be a one-size-fits-all. Yes they map for different octanes, but will these be applicable to the UK bike - there's no point in having a 91 octane map, as they have on the list, as we're 95 minimum. Will they account for this and be able to give (for example) 93 (safety margin for supermarket fuel) 98, 100, 105 (for race fuel) maps?

I've had enough experience with mapping on cars with tuned engines to know that two outwardly identical engines can have quite different fuel maps, so any general map has to be very safe to avoid pinking like hell in somebody's engine. That's why I'm such a stickler for proper mapping - whether that's an ECU direct crack like Hilltop perform, or with a PCV and a rolling road session to get a proper map for your bike.

Not saying it's a no-no or a dangerous (my 'faith' chat is about what benefits it would actually give over stock, rather than wrecking anything), but giving questions I would ask for someone from the UK who wanted to give it a punt...

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with mapping, thats why I am asking for opinions on here.

It does say they do maps for different octane numbers, eg 93 100 etc.

Its the bit about improving the ABS/DTC that I am most interested, not more power.

That's why I said "only a bit more sophisticated than a PCV" :)

Hilltop tune is a proper custom map, this will be a one-size-fits-all. Yes they map for different octanes, but will these be applicable to the UK bike - there's no point in having a 91 octane map, as they have on the list, as we're 95 minimum. Will they account for this and be able to give (for example) 93 (safety margin for supermarket fuel) 98, 100, 105 (for race fuel) maps?

I've had enough experience with mapping on cars with tuned engines to know that two outwardly identical engines can have quite different fuel maps, so any general map has to be very safe to avoid pinking like hell in somebody's engine. That's why I'm such a stickler for proper mapping - whether that's an ECU direct crack like Hilltop perform, or with a PCV and a rolling road session to get a proper map for your bike.

Not saying it's a no-no or a dangerous (my 'faith' chat is about what benefits it would actually give over stock, rather than wrecking anything), but giving questions I would ask for someone from the UK who wanted to give it a punt...

BMW use 1 map fits all same as every one else, you cannot beat a ECU remap, I think, Geoff turned my S1 into a very powerful but also a very smooth beast. I would say that the re-map was one of my best upgrades. Geoff knows his stuff.

Cheers

You could only really rely on feedback from guys who have used it on the US forum for the ABS/DTC side, IMO - we know the capacity is there in the BMW ECU to make the TC much less intrusive than it is, so potentially, yep, gains to be had. Fuelling, like I say, will always be ballpark, but might be a better ballpark than stock.

I guess if you're really interested, the only true way would be to suck it and see - it's not a small cost, but it's not as major as some tuning costs and it seems the unit can be re-sold, plus the stock map/ABS/TC settings can be saved and restored if it's not a winner, so not a massive amount to lose. Like I say, I don't see much danger - unless the TC is properly buggered by it and the bike ends up pinging you to the moon on your next TD! But you don't seem like the sort of bloke that would be daft enough to rely on it straight away :)

Phill from Crowe Performance is your man, he?s running bsb superstock team and won championship last year so definitely know what he?s doing

Back