Road Tyre Pressures??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Bike is running Racetec K3's and i was wondering what other owners set their tyre pressures at for the ROAD in the current cold conditions - advice on setting tyres pressures COLD in garage.

For the TRACK im considering trying them at Front 31 or 32 and Rear 29 or 30 - again set COLD and then checking them throughout day etc.

But I'm not sure about the ROAD - was thinking about Front 36 and Rear 34 - thoughts??

Why have the front at a lower pressure than the rear for the road?? No point. Run manufacturer suggested pressures for road riding and 32/30 track.

Tyre pressures are a grey area, what works for some may not feel good to others. 42 in the rear for instance makes (for me) the bike feel very vague on the back and prone to spinning up easy, I prefer to drop it down a bit and get a larger contact patch as it gives me more confidence powering out of corners.

Likewise, the front set too low makes the steering feel sluggish and heavy.

It's all a balance, and you just need to experiment to find the sweet spot for you. :)

I guess tyre pressures will always be a huge topic for debate - will try a few different options and see how it feels - just need weather to warm up though cos i aint going nowhere whilst its like this - bloody weather!!!

I always thought that quoted handbook pressures also had to account for pillions etc so 36F & 42R are probably on the high side for most folk. Personally I go 33 F&R on the roads.

ive been sticking to the recommended pressures in my tyres, but after doing about 150 miles yesterday around wales they did feel a touch hard , so I think im going to drop the front to 34 and 36 in the rear and try that

Difficult for road to be honest. Hot day bend towards track pressures but UK at the moment...... 34 fr 34r ? See what feels good on the day. Start high then it's easy to drop on the move.

I run manufacturers pressures. Done 2400 miles since I got the bike, and the rear K3 is almost done. Given its my first sportsbike (so been taking it easy getting to know it) and the fact that I haven't been blasting it around (well not that much), I was expecting the tyre to last a bit longer - it certainly won't get to 3k, which appeared (from various posts on this forum) to be a rough rule of minimum life for road-only use. I had been wondering about my pressures (which I never do at garage air machines cos I don't trust em, so sure I've maintained the right pressures).

Done 2400 miles since I got the bike, and the rear K3 is almost done. Given its my first sportsbike (so been taking it easy getting to know it) and the fact that I haven't been blasting it around (well not that much), I was expecting the tyre to last a bit longer - it certainly won't get to 3k....

2400 miles is probably a 1000 miles more than most! I got about 1500 and I was trying to look after it - you could kill a K3 rear in a 1000miles on an S1K.

Its all down to how you ride, each and everyone of us have a different style. I got 2500 from my rear K3 and it was not shagged when I replaced it, the front was like new (still have both).
I ran 36 F 39 Rear from March 2010 till may.. felt good.

Last edited:
So far I've done 1300 miles and 1 track day on my Conti sport attack 2,s and they are still going strong, I recon I could easily do the same again before its time to replace them

Back